• Register Today It's free!

Superlift 4" or 5.5" Questions

91Sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Brownsville, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'68 U15
Hey everyone, I've been wanting to lift my '91 XLT using a suspension lift so I can run some 32's. I've searched for hours on this forum and havnt really found much information on how well the Superlift 4" and 5.5" lift work. I'm not a hardcore wheeler, maybe once or twice a month I'll go drive on a trail with my friends and I always seem to get high centered on something (people are starting to call me Hi-C..) I've read that Skyjacker is a way stronger and beefier kit but I dont have the cash put out for that and buy new tires. What are the pro's and con's of the 4" lift compaired to the 5.5" lift? Is SOA the only real difference between the two kits? I understand that the extended radius arms help out quite a bit so I've already decided to get the Superunner kit, I just cant really make up my mind on which lift size to run. Also, why is the 5.5" cheaper than the 4" kit? I'm positive someone has asked these questions but I'd just like some info. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, I am also trying to figure out if I should get Skyjacker or Superlift. As to why the 5.5" is cheaper than the 4", I think it is because most people that aren't hardcore wheelers think it is just way too big. I am going to go with the 4", because this is my daily driver and I too believe that it is too big to mostly be driven on the street. If you just want to be able to run 32s, go with the 4", if you go with 5.5" you probably need 33s. Good luck with your choice.

I guess my big problem is that I am on a budget. Having the 5.5" lift to me seems like it'd look really funny with 30" tires. It confuses me though on why a lift kit that adds 1.5" more inches is less money then the 4" lift. I think I've decided to go for the 4" lift, I'm just gonna have to work my ass off this whole summer just to buy that. Thanks BMXKing for answering some of my questions. Good luck in lifting your X as well. As soon as its lifted I'll post some pictures to show how it turned out. Thanks again

The 4" lift comes with new rear springs that go under the axle, the 5.5 kit has you relocate your stock springs to over the axle set up.

What he said.
They actualy come with the SAME drop brackets. The brackets have holes in them for either height. The advantage is obviously you can switch to one or the other later.

Wait, so are you saying that I could buy the 5.5" kit and set it up to be a 4" lift using everything that comes with it? I'm confused now..

I am saying the bracketry is the same. The springs are different.

Okay, I understand now. Thanks everybody for the help and information. I'm still pretty sure I will end up buying the 4" lift. I'll keep you posted on how the lift comes. Thanks again

Back