help... 3" body or 5.5" suspension | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help... 3" body or 5.5" suspension

mdlrvenom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boonton, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XLT
help guys.. i got the bug to lift my x... its a '92 4door XLT... I've tried searching for info on superlifts 5.5" suspension lift and performance products 3" body lift with no avail... some info is out there but not what i'm lookin for...
here's what i got so far... 50/50split say i can run a 3" body lift and running 33*12.5*15 on 15*8 with 3.5" backspacing... and the other half say 32*12.5, some say 32*10.5 some say 33*10.5..
next superlifts 5.5" suspension lift... not much info here i've checked their web site... boils down to the lift(which i have heard is less than easy to install) and their steering system.. i have yet to call the distributers here in Jersey...
tell you the truth i'm petrified to see the price.. with this system i should be able to run 33's...
now, some background for my plans.... i stay on road 75% of the time and off-road 25%... mainly due to i'm a lone 4Wheeler... none of my friends are into it... so mainly i like the look of a lifted rig with 33's
So any info or feedback would be great
thanx:confused: :confused: :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say the 5.5 for better wheeling performance and overall look.

I agree, the 5.5, cost around 700, but I wouldn't get the steering, just get a drop pitman arm, this is a bolt on kit, but the rear soa kit needs to be welded to axle afterwards. The body lift would not be enough alone to run 33's correctly.

get the skyjacker 6" the superlifts arent that super..... the suspension seems more involved, but is pretty straight forward... the body lift is simple, but gets involved when modifing linkages etc..... the 6" lift is probably the best.... allowing enough room for 33s and not having to compromise strength an look.....
you must however remember that with modifying over the stock vehicle, you are going to have to trim the fenders, do gears, once you start modifying, you will need to do other things as well

Originally posted by RFR2212
Skyjacker! Skyjacker! Skyjacker!

yeah, what he said... he knows his stuff... just look at his cool truck!

Originally posted by RFR2212
Skyjacker! Skyjacker! Skyjacker!

Just don't yell that in the middle of La Guardia Airport,LOL, seriuosly, the skyjacker kit is better, just more costly, and if you go that route, then get the class II kit. This includes extended radius arms.

I wouldn't do the body lift.

Go with the Skyjacker or Super lift. I've heard better things about the skyjacker.

I will be the oddball here and say Skyjacker 2inch lift and 3 inch Bodylift. Flame me all you want.:D Its cheaper and I think it will be quite capable for what he does. I had the same basic setup and went everywhere the big dogs went.

thanx to everyone for taking the time out to reply... all of your information has been helpful... unfortunatly i'm now torn between 3" lift and 2.5" james duff suspension (have done some searching and have heard excellent marks on quality and crafmanship)... but on the other hand why not just do one huge 6" skyjacker lift and get it all over with... i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place... to bad my brain doesn't work like some of your guys trucks on the trail!
one question for the guys who installed the sky jacker
i have looked and there is a class one system and a class two... differnce being new radius arms (i think) i saw a picture... question is do all of the kits include everything needed to bolt and go or is there a need for lower pitman arms etc etc...
good thing the temp here is in the twentys and i don't like workin on the rig in the cold... gives me plenty of time to figure it all out.

What tires do you want to run? If you want to run 33x12.50 you either need 5"+ of lift or less + fiberglass fenders. For 32x11.50 or 33x10.50, 4" of lift will do, 32s will fit with some trimming and the 2.5" duff lift and also coil spacers and warrior shackles. 31s with 2.5" or under.

hey doc (soon to be right?)
who makes the coil spacers and warrior shackles.. nice truck by the way
i know what ur saying is all true but i've seen in this site guys running the 3" bl w/ 33's some had to trim some do not... just remember i really only go off roading once or twice a month... so its mostly on road... also on a students pay its hard to see going the "right" way for the bigger lift... not now at least...
but i do appreciate all the info :)

The guys running 33x12.50s with a 3" body lift also have a 1.5-2" suspension lift for a total of about 5" of lift.

Most people use F150 spacers from Ford and the warrior shackles can be ordered from 4wheelparts or tellico4x4.com.

My 94 has 5in of lift... has 33x12.5 a/t's and slightly trimmed fenders... It rubs at full lock, and will rub when flexin a good bit. If it was my wheeler, I'd hack more away, but being the DD, it's gonna stay as is...
Pete

P.S. Pics in the link in my sig for the 94 Un-limited

The skyacker class II kit comes with everything for the front lift, it does not come with the rear lift, they quit making 6 inch springs, I installed one last year, and it wasn't too bad, the rear you have to do a spring over, and can order spring perches and do it your self, or you can order the rear superlift kit, this also need to be welded afterwards, I opted to go 4 inch rear springs with shackles, less axle rap, and I already had bought the 4 inch springs. Now you can also go 4 inch, and still get the class II, if you do not want so much height, but you will want the 6 eventually.

Back