Surge at idle and "clicking" noise... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Surge at idle and "clicking" noise...

Cheddarhead

Reaction score
City, State
Pewaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4.0L SOHC
'97 Explorer w/ 4.0 SOHC V6 Engine....approximately 115K miles.

At idle, you can hear / feel the engine "surge" slightly...perhaps 200 - 300 RPM's. There is also an audible "clicking" noise that cycles on and off on perhaps a ten -- fifteen second interval.

I don't know that these two are related...but thought I'd post this up and see what the collective wisdom has to offer.

I figured that the surging is "probably" a vaccuum leak...and that the clicking might be the clutch for the A/C compressor. But those are purely guesses on my part.

Thanks in Advance!

'97 Explorer w/ 4.0 SOHC V6 Engine....approximately 115K miles.

At idle, you can hear / feel the engine "surge" slightly...perhaps 200 - 300 RPM's. There is also an audible "clicking" noise that cycles on and off on perhaps a ten -- fifteen second interval.

I don't know that these two are related...but thought I'd post this up and see what the collective wisdom has to offer.

I figured that the surging is "probably" a vaccuum leak...and that the clicking might be the clutch for the A/C compressor. But those are purely guesses on my part.

Thanks in Advance!

i have same thing as i think everyone may have this i have found out that the clicking noise is A/C as you guessed from what i was told it comes on when the ac/heat is on any setting other that the feet position.

as for the other problem i do have it not sure what is is related to but with my CAI you can really hear it, its allot loader

Back