Surprise! The new guy has an ABS problem! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Surprise! The new guy has an ABS problem!

newbie55

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 4.0
Hi All,

Glad to be here and I hope you can help with a couple of issues. From what I’ve read this is an on-going issue with the Explorer but I thought for my first post I’d throw out my ABS problem. I had both front wheel bearings replaced last week (for the record this was done by a highly reputable shop that my good friend owns in my old hometown but since he gave me the ‘friends and family deal’ I’m not willing to make this his problem; he is helping sort it out as best he can from 700 miles away.) and, of course, the ABS light has started to come on upon initial startup. If I restart the engine after warm up the light will go out and sometimes stay out but the first start up has the light on. I haven’t had the meter plugged in to give me a reading. I have disconnected and plugged in the connectors a couple of times hoping for a bad contact but to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome and that sux that u got an abs problem

Thanks for the support. I've scheduled an appointment with my LOCAL tech to read the codes, I'll let you know what I find out. It's frustrating that something a benign as plugging in new sensors has created this issue, though that's likely not it at all. We'll see.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the support. I've scheduled an appointment with my LOCAL tech to read the codes, I'll let you know what I find out. It's frustrating that something a benign as plugging in new sensors has created this issue, though that's likely not it at all. We'll see.:rolleyes:

Ask the installer if he used new sensors...
If they are original sensors it is likely they were inadvertently damaged when they are disturbed. They are very delicate.

If not one of the new sensors could be bad..the codes will tell...

Thanks 96eb96. I just talked to the installer; new sensors were part of the wheel bearing assembly and shouldn't have had any risk of damage during install. He did mention that one could be bad from the manufacturer. I need to get the codes read before the parts and labor warranty expires (6 mos) so NAPA will pay to have the offending wheel bearing assembly replaced if one is bad. Good times. It would at least solve the problem. Thanks again.

Back