Suspected starter failure, then total loss of all electrical systems... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspected starter failure, then total loss of all electrical systems...

Chris RX-7

Reaction score
City, State
Palm Harbor, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 2dr Sport
So my 95 explorer would not start this morning, I immediately grabbed the jumper cables and attempted to jump start it, nothing happened. I would hear a single click from the starter then all electrical would die sans the door chime and door lights. So suspecting a faulty starter relay i took the relay off, cleaned the connections and put it back on, then I took the battery to advanced auto parts to get it load tested it. I just reinstalled the battery and the relay and now I have no electrical at all in the vehicle. I also tried the old tap on the starter with a hammer trick to no luck.

What do you guys think, starter problem or faulty electrical wiring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Almost sounds like you have a bad starter or solenoid

Check your battery cables good. The single click with power outage for me has always been a bad battery connection. Could be a bad cable end, or a bad connection where it grounds to the block, or corrosion. Just start wiggling cables and see if the lights come back on.

Definitely sounds cable related. Keep in mind that cables can corrode from the inside out. The cable may look good but still be bad.

Yup, check cables first..

I had this problem and the EF guys helped my out right away.. My cables looked fine, but once I cut open the cable it was filled with corrosion

Back