2001 Sport won't start and all electrical went dead | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport won't start and all electrical went dead

hiwatt357

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I drove in this morning, and everything was fine.

But I just tried to go to lunch, and when I turned the key, I got some weird click sound, and it didn't start.

When I took out my key, I heard a clicking sound coming from behind the panel underneath the steering column. The clicking noise stops when I insert the key and turn it to either "ON" or back to "ACC". But as soon as I return it to the "OFF" position, the clicking starts. There are no lights, key fob won't lock the doors, nothing. It's as though my car doesn't even have a battery in it. Absolutely zero electricity.

I did a search before I posted this and came up with nothing. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

low battery voltage, probably a broken cell connector. Check/replace the battery.

See if you can jump start it,then see if it runs when you take the jumper cables off.If you cant jump start and still have no power suspect a shorted battery or broken/rotten battery cable.

If it starts and stays running after a few minutes when you remove the jumper,have the battery checked.If it dies have the alternator and battery checked. These are the easy things to look at.:D

ps....have a spare battery? A shorted battery a lot of times can't be jumped,switch batteries and try it.:D

Thanks for the responses. Turns out it was an easy fix.

I borrowed a multimeter, and when I put it across the terminals it read 3 - 4 volts. So at that point, I figured it was definitely the battery. But after I did that, the key fob worked (unlocked and locked the doors), and my dash lights came on when I inserted my key and turned it "ON". But then when I tried to start it, it would click and then go dead again. But it just seemed so odd that it would have power, then all of a sudden have no power. Checked the cable clamps, and both were tight on the posts.

So near the end of the day, I borrowed another guy's multimeter (mine was at home), and this time it read 12.6 volts. Weird. I suppose that the first multimeter I used was messed-up somehow. I got a co-worker to attempt to jump start my car, and that didn't work. Checked the voltage again. Still good. Disconnected the positive clamp and found no corrosion. Couldn't get to the bolt for the negative clamp (didn't have the correct socket on hand, and not enough clearance for an adjustable wrench), so I just unclamped where the cable meets the clamp. There was some slight corrosion and some broken strands of cable. So I cleaned it with Coca-Cola, removed any broken strands, twisted it back together and re-attached it.

And lo and behold, it started.

I guess there was just enough corrosion and broken strands to cause a bad connection, even though I had gotten to work OK yesterday morning.

Ran and started fine the rest of the evening.

Again, thank you for the responses. I had never heard that clicking sound from underneath the steering column before, and something just seemed odd, like it wasn't just a dead battery. And being at work, I couldn't just up and start working on my car, so I was trying to get some ideas as to what might be happening.

Sorry to hijack and resurrect this thread....

I drove in this morning, and everything was fine.

But I just tried to go to lunch, and when I turned the key, I got some weird click sound, and it didn't start.

When I took out my key, I heard a clicking sound coming from behind the panel underneath the steering column. The clicking noise stops when I insert the key and turn it to either "ON" or back to "ACC". But as soon as I return it to the "OFF" position, the clicking starts. There are no lights, key fob won't lock the doors, nothing. It's as though my car doesn't even have a battery in it. Absolutely zero electricity.

I did a search before I posted this and came up with nothing. Any ideas?

I'm having a very similar issue.. Truck was running fine 2 days ago then I was about to leave for work Monday morning when I found there was no power at all. I took the battery to autozone and was told the battery is fine. There is no power to anyhing. Tried jump starting the car and Nothing! The fuses look good, tested fine. The cables are in good condition, did a big 3 upgrade on them 2 years ago. I did hear something "click" under/by the dash right before it died on me. Relays maybe?
I have been seArching reading many threads here and also searching online to see what I can find. Unfortunately I'm at work right now and can't go play mechanic.

Any thoughts, ideas, pointers will BE GREATLY appreciated, I really want to get this X running since I'm in the mid west and the winter is pretty crazy here.

Thanks in advance for all your help...

JR

Back