swapping a newer OEM radio into '97 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

swapping a newer OEM radio into '97 Sport

acuzerfdw

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Sport 2WD
My current radio in my '97 Sport is a radio/tape player. I'm looking to swap it with an OEM CD player, but most that I find on ebay are for newer models. I see that the '98 - '01 model radios have the two holes on either side of the face so I'm sure they fit right into my bezel, but the connectors in the back are not the same. Does anyone know if a kit is sold that would connect my older harness into the newer radios? How easy would it be to make my own. I really don't want to cut up my harness.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just get an aftermarket CD radio. They're light yrs better than the OEM Ford junk and look MUCH better.

Well, I already have a couple aftermarket cd players, but I don't want my truck getting broken into just to take the radio. Usually thieves don't bother with fatory radios. Some of the areas I live near by are known for cars getting broken into more than usual.

Aleks - here is the difference in wiring for the 97 down and 98 up:
http://oem-auto-accessory.com/photo_page.html
Use a standard cd/radio or the premium radio 98 and later T100 (amp in the head unit, not the mach or jbl or lux they use a (separate amp). You should be a ble to find the m100 to t100 adapter harness to make it work.
Scucci

Well, I already have a couple aftermarket cd players, but I don't want my truck getting broken into just to take the radio. Usually thieves don't bother with fatory radios. Some of the areas I live near by are known for cars getting broken into more than usual.
Pretty much every radio they make nowadays is detachable.

I dunno, it's up to you. Honestly the OEM stuff is garbage, and is ridiculously overpriced on eBay.

keep the oem for looks and place an after market player in a concealed location.

I took your advice and installed an Alpine CD player. I gotta say, the sound is sooooo much better!!! Even with the stock speakers, the sound is awesome! I'm glad I did this. It even has the cable to connect my son's IPOD. Can't wait to go to work tomorrow morning just so I can listen to the radio on the way. Thanks guys!

There you go! I love being able to listen to my mp3 player in my car. It still baffles my mind as to how people are willing to spend a ton of $$$ on an used junk OEM stereo that is like almost 10 yrs old.

Pretty much ANY aftermarket unit sold today will be cheaper, sound better and look 100x better..

if i am hijacking this thread, sorry, but dose anybody know what is needed to get rid of the hiss that is made once you get a aftermarket radio. i put in a pioneer premier cd player, 2 12 inch JL's, a alpine amp for the subs, and two alpine door speakers (this was all brought on by my girlfriend getting me a ipod for christmas by the way). i do believe that the front and rear speakers are being powered by the factory amp, because i had to connect the remote wire in with the factory harness, and i can hear a hissing sound, not loud by any means, but it does drive me nuts! its a 98 sport and it had a factory am/fm/cd player in it

When I installed mine, I used a wiring harness so I didn't have to cut any wires, and my front left speaker was doing that too. It turned out to be the harness I bought. I guess the wires weren't in all the way in the plug I bought. I held the plug with one hand and "pushed" the wires into it. That worked for me.

Back