Swapping Door Panels

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
I've read before that door panels are interchangeable between the first and second generations.

I'm upgrading the panels to the second generation to get more of an updated/sleeker look. My main question is about the wiring, I have most of the wires for the second generation's panels, but I'm thinking I should cut that off and wire it into the first generation (stock) wiring.

The only problem I'm facing is that there seems to be an extra wire or two from the second generation. I figure I just match up the wires for each switch and go, but there's a few extra wires there.

I'll be going to the junkyard to get another switch panel if possible to "test" it with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Josh, it's not a big wiring deal, though I had all 1999 wiring to work with. The hardest part will be cutting the two front mirror bolt holes larger(pic). Look at your top stock mirror hole, they are all round and it needs to be cut down for the plastic door panel hook to fit.

Use a pick to remove the wires one at a time from the back of a window switch panel. Those connectors are the same for both models. Practice by removing those form the new panel switches. Get used to how they come out, then begin to swap the old wires into the new switch panels.

The later trucks have a wire for each door latch for the door ajar circuit. You have that in the door hinge jamb, a switch. I would maintain as much of the stock wiring as possible, and use OEM connectors, avoid cutting any window wires from your truck.

While you are hunting parts, buy the side mirrors also, and toss the old junk away. FYI, there are a few brand new door panels on eBay right now, I bought three new Limited panels. Regards,

Projectthread092.JPG

Okay. I figure if I just use the wiring that's allready in my 1993 I should be good. I don't have the "door ajar" circuit (i think) so I'm not worried about that.

I'm thinking if I use the stock wiring (1993) into the 1998 switches it should work fine. It's just those few extra wires that are confusing me.

As for the mirrors, I'm leaving those for now, nothing wrong with them.

but about the mirror holes, why do you have to widen them? is there a hook on the second generation panels the first generation don't have?

but about the mirror holes, why do you have to widen them? is there a hook on the second generation panels the first generation don't have?

Yes, when you get a later front panel, look at the backside where the mirror switch is. There is a plastic hook which holds that top corner onto the door. Notice that your older panel has a screw next to the glass to hold it to the door.

It was a little time consuming to cut and whittle that slot for each front door, but it wasn't too hard. The hole in the picture above is very very close to being perfect. Follow those contours for the hole. You could also make a template from a 95-01 front door, that may be better yet. Trace the three mirror holes from a 95-01 door, plus that rectangular portion needed for the door panel.

Yes, when you get a later front panel, look at the backside where the mirror switch is. There is a plastic hook which holds that top corner onto the door. Notice that your older panel has a screw next to the glass to hold it to the door.

It was a little time consuming to cut and whittle that slot for each front door, but it wasn't too hard. The hole in the picture above is very very close to being perfect. Follow those contours for the hole. You could also make a template from a 95-01 front door, that may be better yet. Trace the three mirror holes from a 95-01 door, plus that rectangular portion needed for the door panel.

Good deal. I appreciate it. Only problem is I don't have access to the interior of the door. But I don't think it'll be to hard, I'll just get the grinder tool, load it in the drill and go at it.

I'll probably get around to doing the wiring later this week, I feel that I'm goign to have to be in the mood for it. Also having to figure it out is making me nervous about it. But I figure do one switch at a time and just take my time.

Start with one of the rear doors. Those have far fewer wires than the LF, plus the door panel is a direct swap. I'd do the driver's door last, by then you will be very comfortable with swapping the wires from the switches. Regards,

Start with one of the rear doors. Those have far fewer wires than the LF, plus the door panel is a direct swap. I'd do the driver's door last, by then you will be very comfortable with swapping the wires from the switches. Regards,

yeah, i only have the front panels for now.

someone was supposed to send me the rear panels but they haven't.

Back