Sway bars for a 98+ X without lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sway bars for a 98+ X without lift

Explorerinma

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I own a 2002 X with 4WD and was looking for some sway bars for it to improve handling. I don't plan to raise it ever. I just want better performance. I know that Steeda makes some swaybars for the 98+ Explorers. You can see them at http://www.steeda.com then click on truck then click on suspension. Has anyone tried these? Do sway bars make any difference in 98+ X's? Are any other companies good? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a feeling that the swaybars were totally redesigned for the 2002 4 doors, and earlier ones won't fit.

Probably. It is just that Steeda said that sway bar would fit the 98-02 Explorer so I thought maybe someone had them

well, they'll fit the older design sports, but not the 4 doors.

Are you talking about the Steeda swaybars or the stock Ford ones? Kinda confused to what you are replying to. Have to tried aftermarket sway bars for new Explorer or heard anything about them?

I have aftermarket Saleen units. What I'm saying is that the 4door Explorer was redesigned for 2002. The swaybars were most likely redesigned as well, seeing as how it's an entirely new suspension system, frame, etc. That means the aftermarket bars for the earlier Explorer design wont work.

I understand that they were redesigned. I owned a 98. Kinda different now. Anyway, if you look at Steeda's website, it will say that the sway bars fit 98-02. Just wondering if anyone had them

Back