Sweet front suspension options | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sweet front suspension options

Yes sir I am still reading this! Anyway, is your autofab kit the one w/ the d44 bent beams and the triple shock setup? Hmm..thats intersting about the camburg stuff breaking. Do you know if it was like on a 12 foot jump or something, or was it just going through some whoops? Yah I'll have to research this stuff a bit more. I calculated the price with my funds and its probly not gonna happen till end of next summer:eek: because I can't work as much hours with f'n college. That sucks but I'll still research it. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Josh, I think all of the camburg breaks happened during jumps. One I actually witnesses & it was not a super hard landing & he bent a radius arm. If you look at their design, they're really weak. Compare them to Autofab's & you can see the difference. Plus, Autofab's have a crossmember between the frame rails, which really strengthens the frame & keeps it from twisting & bending.
I had Autofab set up my front end kit for 2 2.5" shocks, one 14" in front of the coil & a 10" behind the coil. I currently only use a 14" 2.5" it it works incredibly. So essentially, it is the 3 shock kit, but I had it set up a little diffferently. I also had the axle housing reinforced and the coil buckets made with ride height adjusters.

Thats sweet dude. I'm gonna have to wait a while before I can do this stuff infortunately, but I can't wait to get rid of this damn dropdown bracket. Its currently got a 5 inch long crack about a half centimeter wide from jumping and only catching like a half a foot or a foot of air. POS in my book.

Have you seen Camburgs new arms? I was just there yesterday talking to Jerry and he showed me the new arms and mounts, definately NOT weak. Very good design, and very clean looking.

--Sean

Would those be new radius arms? Yah I want to go down to their shop in hb but I talked to some guy on the phone and he just said I need to talk to jerry. Maybe I'll try to cruise in next wednesday. I was going to go through kartek in riverside to do my work when I do it with the camburg 8" beams and rad. arms and the like. I have yet to go down there as well.

Josh, Camburgs beams are super heavy & incorporate a weak design that was used so that people could upgrade from stock bent beams to their beams without buying radius arms. I know they look cool when they're all mounted up with the wide stance & all, but do you want looks, or performance? It sounds to me like you need to decide whether you want show or go...........
I really think you should talk to John at Autofab. He's a straight shooter, no B.S. kind of guy & takes a lot of pride in his work & the craftmanship in his products is top notch. Set up a truck the way he tells you to with the size rim & tire he tells you to run, & you'll be blown away at the way it performs. I've set up 2 trucks with his kits & both have been nothing short of amazing.

Yah so I went into baja shop today after class and talked to aj. He basically told me what he would do to my rig and how much it would cost if I brought it to him. It came out to 4700+beams, everthing installed. That includes heim jointed rad. arms w/ crossmember, 2-2.5" king coilovers, 2 king reserve shocks, shock mounts w/ engine cage, and beams installed. He said it would take about a week to install and then I would be set to go. All I gotta do is bring him the beams. Sooo, I need to decide on beams. Yah you're right about the camburgs looking cool with the 8 inch widening, but I really value performance over looks. If the autofabs or anything else outperforms the camburgs, I'll go with those. I want to build up this truck the right way so I don't have to do it over again. I don't know anything about strength or weight or any of that so all this info from you is appreciated. Tell me more about the autofabs...The ones we're talking about are dana35's right? I've decided I don't want to mess with the 44s, just stick w/ the 35. How wide are the autofabs, is it 6" lift, do they kick ass, etc...

What do you think of the setup I mentioned above? Does that sound good to you? I think it would be able to take some pretty narly stuff and some big air too.

Oh and how much do they cost? I would most likely buy the beams, then the shocks, then take it all in for the install so I can avoid the huge chunk of cash all at once thing. So, I guess it would be a while before I could send the old ones back for the core charge thing.

Back