Sync 2 MFT Upgrade Failed/Bad installation file | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 2 MFT Upgrade Failed/Bad installation file

sunfl44

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
2013 Ford Explorer XLT

I was upgrading my Sync to version 3.1 via USB stick. During the install the screen got stock on "installing file 2 of 2 for over an hour.
At this point I knew something was wrong so I tried again, and now a get a message "Bad Installation File" One or more of the files being
installed on your system did not install successfully. I've tried doing a master reset, I've tried disconnecting the battery and jumping the negative
and positive cables to clear the memory. I've tried formatting the usb stick again and reinstalling the files. I've tried searching the internet but have
not found a clear answer on how to fix this. Each time I try I get the same error message. Any help with this greatly appreciated

2013 Ford Explorer XLT

I was upgrading my Sync to version 3.1 via USB stick. During the install the screen got stock on "installing file 2 of 2 for over an hour.
At this point I knew something was wrong so I tried again, and now a get a message "Bad Installation File" One or more of the files being
installed on your system did not install successfully. I've tried doing a master reset, I've tried disconnecting the battery and jumping the negative
and positive cables to clear the memory. I've tried formatting the usb stick again and reinstalling the files. I've tried searching the internet but have
not found a clear answer on how to fix this. Each time I try I get the same error message. Any help with this greatly appreciated
I was having issues updating Sync 2 (MyFord Touch) from 3.08 to 3.10 in my 2016 Explorer. First, it didn't accept memory stick, even if it was formatted according to Ford instructions (the ones you get when accessing from Ford.com / my account / dashboard / Vehicle details). However, it accepted SD-card and started installation. After first reboot, it didn't find memory card it had used for booting (!) and that caused boot-loop. Then tried couple memory sticks, no-go, then I found out following things by trial and error and some research:

1. Sync 2 requires FAT32 formatted memory devices
. Certain Ford instructions state exFAT is required, however, this seems incorrect, it's FAT32 for Sync 2 and exFAT for Sync 3 and newer. This is stated in other Ford instructions.

2. It's recommended that you use USB2-sticks (black connector in stick), USB3 (blue connector) may be tricky

After formatting old 2Gb USB2 stick to FAT32 format, Sync accepted stick and performed update without problems. Update itself was around 500Mb (no navigation), no need for 8Gb stick Ford recommended. I would say those smaller capacity sticks/cards are closer to Sync 2 era hardware than newer, bigger capacity sticks/cards.

Off topic, I did have Joying Android 10 head unit (8") in my 2004 Explorer, and while Sync 2 gets lot of bashing, Sync 2 is way more user friendly than Android head units!

Back