• Register Today It's free!

Taking off panels

psychotic

Reaction score
City, State
Olathe, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
RIP: '02 V8 Limited 4WD
I wasn't sure wether to post this here or in the audio forum, so if a moderator wants to move it, go ahead.
I have a 4 door 4 wheel drive 1996 X. Does anyone know where I can find out how to remove all door panels, and possibly dash panels too? I don't want to break off any plastic pieces, I hope you can help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know the dash panels, but I can help you with the doors.

For the front doors, take out the 3 screws (2 just above the door handle and 1 by the rear view mirror), and for the back doors just get the 2 screws by the door handles.
Then take the door handle plastic and the window switches out. There should be little plastic thingers where you can stick a flathead screwdriver in to pry them out.
Then take the flat-head screwdriver and slide it around the edges of the door panel until you can feel the weird Ford plastic snappy dudes, and you can use the screwdriver to pry them off. There are a whole lot of plastic snaps, so just work all the way around the panel until you've got them all. Then pull door panel off.

I hope that makes sense. I don't know if it does though. If you want a more official answer, you can go to the Audio forum and one of the "Important Threads" at the top of the page was posted by Kris, it's titled "Intro to Audio" or "Basic Audio" or something like that, and it's got instructions in it.

Ford plastic snappy dudes, lol LOVE THE EXPLINATION :) Thanks!

Oh well,you know what I mean.

Also, if you have a Haynes manual or something like that, that'll probably tell you how to get the dash panel off if you haven't found out yet

With some patience and a few screwdrivers, you can pull almost any interior panel with little fuss. Your 96 front doors only have 2 screws above the door handle. Once those are gone, just work your way around like was said. Be careful as the switch panel might cause some problems due to short wire length. As for the dash, the radio bezel will come off after the 2 bolts between the radio and AC are removed. Other panels will come off after. Also, with some good handwork, you can reach up behind the dash from the glove compartment area. You just have to snap the glovebox down out of the dash.

Those plastic door sticky things suck after youve pulled the door. If you dont want your door panel being even a little loose, I recommend giving ford parts network and email and have them send your a bag of thoes connector thingies. Ive got quite a collection. on mine the doors use all the same, but the trim and I think the hatch in the back uses special ones. Either way, I dont think they are expensive... so stock up if you plan on doing alot of work with your stereo or soundproofing. Also, I think they make a special tool to remove the door panels a bit better that a screwdriver. but I dont think its really worth it.

nick

Back