Temp gauge issue? Sensors?

thepotroast

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Asheville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
3rd Gen EB 4x4 V8
Have a new issue just discovered on my Ex after taking it on a 1000 mile trip in the mountains over the weekend. Truck started cold, idled roughly, temp gauge immediately popped up to normal running temp (while engine was cold). Couldn't get the engine to idle smooth, turned it off....restarted it. This time it idled smooth on the start....the coolant temp gauge showed at normal temp still (again...on a totally cold engine), and then dropped down to cold about 5 seconds into the idle.

Started driving, coolant temp gauge raised to normal temp in the normal period of time (~ 2 mins of driving). About 5 minutes into highway driving, the coolant gauge went up to HIGH and I got the "check gauge" idiot light popping up. Then it dropped back down to normal coolant temp on the gauge in the matter of 1/2 a second.

I had the entire cooling system replaced last year (radiator, temp sensor, water pump, hoses, fan clutch, etc)....so I know the symptoms of a clogged or malfunctioning cooling system and a hot motor....this isn't it. The temp gauge shouldn't pop up to "normal" temp immediately when starting a cold motor....and it certainly shouldn't idle rough, nor should it raise to HOT and then drop back down immediately. The motor isn't running hot.

What do I think it may be? Well...the coolant temp sensor would be my first guess. Only mods/work done to the (stock) motor is a KKM intake system, and I threw new Motorcraft plugs in it a few weeks ago.

So....sensors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can test the temp gauge with an ohm meter see this chart

Dead Link Removed

thanks to brooklynbay's usefull thread links!!

oh in addition if you find the temp sensor tests ok, then it is time to start checking the wiring the leads to it..

Check grounds, lose or corroded connection possibly. specifically in the areas where work was performed

Mine was doing something similar, the thermostat was actually separated inside the housing. The lower disc on it was no longer attached to the main body of the tstat.

15 minutes swapping it out was back to normal.

Back