Temp / Thermostat Q's | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Temp / Thermostat Q's

I think the little weep hole is just to let trapped air out. Not all thermostats have it.

My temperature was reading low. I replaced the thermostat and it still reads low. It used to read at the "O" in NORMAL. Now it reads to the left of the "N". Is it common for the sensor to shift or go bad with age? What should the hot resistance be? I did a check of the gauge and found that it needs about 15 ohms to make it read at the "O".

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A no fail thermostat? Ive never heard of it.
________
Last one I got was for my Buick and I bought it at AutoZone. Many other websites and stores have it too.
From what I read if it fails it is supposed to fail in the open position so you won't overheat.

my new thermostat diddnt have a vent hole I just took a very small drill bit and drilled a hole in it close to where the one in my old one was maybe I made the hole to small and thats why I had to burp it alot

My 1991 does the same thing, however with the extremely cold Denver winter we have had I'm not getting enough heat out of the heater. It does get warm but never HOT. I just bought the truck and replaced the engine. The temp was too low so I replaced the tstat (making sure the hole was at 12 o'clock). But It is still running between "N" and cold. Even when I go skiing up in the high country and the engine has to work extra hard to get up the passes the temp only gets to half way in the normal range.

Votedave,

But It is still running between "N" and cold.
I've had that problem......see my previous post on how I fixed it (if you could call it that).

I sort of think (dangerous) that the FORD dash temp gauge isn't exactly "the best".......I mean.....a lot of folks here say their gauge don't read 1/2 way when they are cruzing down the road........which a lot of us really expect to see. FORD are you listening?

So.....perhaps.....an aftermarket gauge is the answer?

And, yes, I've observed the gauge go higher (up to 1/2) when climbing mountains.......made me wonder IF I wasn't REALLY OVERHEATING IT......since usually, it reads soooo low on the gauge.

Aloha, Mark

My 1991 does the same thing, however with the extremely cold Denver winter we have had I'm not getting enough heat out of the heater. It does get warm but never HOT. I just bought the truck and replaced the engine. The temp was too low so I replaced the tstat (making sure the hole was at 12 o'clock). But It is still running between "N" and cold. Even when I go skiing up in the high country and the engine has to work extra hard to get up the passes the temp only gets to half way in the normal range.

Mine would always run at the "O" in NORMAL, with a short spike up to "R" when going up hills in warm weather. Now its reading low. I changed the thermostat, but it still reads low. Heater works fine. I think its the sender or the gauge wiring. What should the sender resistance be at normal operating temp? I think it should be about 15 ohms for the correct reading, but that's based on testing the gauge with a resistance substitution box. Do senders go bad with age?

If your truck won't warm up in very cold weather, make sure the fan clutch isn't stuck. Otherwise, use the old piece of corrugated cardboard in front of the radiator trick, or buy one of those Lund Cold Front grille inserts.

Bob

similar situation

I have a 94 EX and my gauge stayed below c for many years and it was fine. I thought that was were it should be. About 2 months ago I noticed that my gauge was in the middle of normal while heading down a flat street, then all of a sudden it went back down to the n of normal. Ok maybe nothing. When I got to a stop light it darted up to the L of normal stayed a couple of seconds then went back down to the R of Normal. Now I'm freakin. When i would go up hill it would also go close to the L but less than a minute later back down it goes. It's done this all the time for 2 months, up and down up and down, but never all the way to the red. So now i'm tired of stressing and take it to the local shop. They tell me I have a leak in the radiator and I should get a new one and also get a new ts. Ok done anything to quit this crazyness. I get it back 500 dollars later and it still does the same thing no change what so ever, just alittle more in debt. 2 days later I take it back and "they don't know what it is, seems kinda normal as long as it dosnt go to the red, also could be the head gasket". Can you leave it over night? So I'm a little mifed and here I am. Any answers?

Back