Temperature gauge reads too hot | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Temperature gauge reads too hot

So I went to the junkyard yesterday. Using a cordless impact I was able to get the guage cluster out of a vehicle in about 15 minutes.

Once the cluster is out, the section holding the coolant temp and fuel gauges literally pops right out. Now I hope that it will fix my problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I put in a new coolant and fuel gauge and the problem didn't go away.

So new sender, new gauge...what else is even part of this circuit? Does anyone have a wiring diagram?

Try running the old gauge directly off the sender.

run a new wire from the sender do the gauge. you existing wire could have a bare spot and is grounding out somewhere. all the sending does is provide a ground for the gauge by increasing/decreasing OHMS resistance.

one last thought. you replaced the gauge sender and not the coolant temp sensor, right?

Yes, I replaced the sender (single pin), not the sensor (two pin). Thanks for the replies.

It looks like the only other component in the circuit is a 92 ohm resistor that is shunted across the temperature gauge. I wonder if this resistor has failed?

Yes, I replaced the sender (single pin), not the sensor (two pin). Thanks for the replies.

It looks like the only other component in the circuit is a 92 ohm resistor that is shunted across the temperature gauge. I wonder if this resistor has failed?

it's unlikely that two temp gauges would have failed in exactly the same way, but easy to test with a VOM. i'd still try running a new piece of wire from the sender to the gauge and see if that changes anything. easy enough to do, unless you screwed the gauge cluster back in again.

I reinstalled the cluster, stupidly.

That's the kind of stuff I usually do. At least it's always quicker the second time around! :D

Back