Temperature gauge | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Temperature gauge

jose1969

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer
I got a question on how to test a temperature gauge on 2000 ford explorer. I've already changed the temperature sensor and the gauge does not move at all even the engine is hot already. Thermostat was replaced too. I've read that ground the wire of the sensor unit. There are 2 wires on that connection. which one should I ground?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try grounding both of them. one is a ground and the other goes to the temp gauge. if the wire is good, the gauge should go to full HOT when grounded. if it still doesn't move, it could be a bad wire or a bad gauge.

Thank you for the reply. If the gauge is bad, is there a way to fix it?

Thanks!

Thank you for the reply. If the gauge is bad, is there a way to fix it?

Thanks!

if the gauge is bad, the easiest thing to do is to find a used gauge cluster at the salvage yard or on ebay. before you go this route, test continuity on the gauge wire.

Sorry I wasn't able to reply right away. I was out of town for vacation. I noticed when the power is off, the pointer of the gauge is in the minimum line. once I turn on the ignition switch, the pointer will drop all the way down. That is cold engine. what should I do?

Thank you!

Sorry I wasn't able to reply right away. I was out of town for vacation. I noticed when the power is off, the pointer of the gauge is in the minimum line. once I turn on the ignition switch, the pointer will drop all the way down. That is cold engine. what should I do?

Thank you!

again, test the gauge by grounding the wires. i had a similar condition on my
'00 AWD Mountaineer when i bought it. turned out to be a bad thermostat (stuck in the open position) i still got heat. the gauge tested okay and i was about to replace the temp sender when it throw a CEL of P0125, which indicated the engine wasn't get hot enough.

I will ground it today and let you know later.

Thank you!

Sorry for late reply I got busy at work. Anyway, I grounded the wires with switch on same result. needle/pointer of temperature gauge is going all the way down. I measured it with multitester, with switch on I got 4.55 volt. I seems that the wiring is find. Maybe the gauge is bad? I remember last month I changed the bulb of the instrument cluster. Maybe possible I broked it? LOL Any advised would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Back