Tensioner plates 4.6L 2002 question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tensioner plates 4.6L 2002 question

smooz

Reaction score
Folks,

I have a 2002 early build 4.6L. I went through the tensioner guide problem and replaced the whole timing system: guides, gears chains and tensioners. still ended up with ticking noise. Within 20K miles, I had catostophic failure, Right side timimg chain chewed up crank gear, slipped chain and bent four intake valves. Replaced all again except for tensioners . Still have ticking on right hand chain. I'm guessing that tensioner is not holding tight enough. I plan to replace it. However.....

I noticed that the new tensioners came with flat plates with two large holes (bolts) and one small hole (oil?). See pictures. When I took the originals off the first time, there were no plates, so I didn't put the plates on when installing them the first time.

Question: Are these tensioner plates necessary? Again there were no plates when I took off the originals.There is no mention or picture in Haynes manual. They would appear to block oil flow to the tensioner. I'm confused and "ticked off".

Thanks much,

Greg
th_797555982_4_122_195lo.jpg

Still ticking

Well folks, no one had an answer.

I put it all back together with a new tensioner (no plate).

STILL ticking bad from that right side chain.

Any ideas?

Back