• Register Today It's free!

Testing a power mirror motor

Themightyquinn

Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer 4.0L AWD
I have a 1996 Limited 4.0L with power and heated side mirrors. My driver side power mirror is inop and I don't know if the heater works. I took the mirror off and bought a 12v battery. Would anyone know how to hook up a battery to the connector to see if the motor works. I looked at a schematics for the power mirrors and it mentions that the motors are bi-directional and the current reverses based on switch position so the mirror can turn both left and right, and up and down. So I'm thinking it won't be as simple as linking one pin of the connector to the positive terminal of the battery and the other pin to a ground. Thanks.

I might be wrong, but isn't the pigtail on the pass side the same? Couldn't you in theory just pop off the Pass side mirror, plug it in and test it that way?

For bi-directional power it seems like you'd have to come up with a pretty extravagant setup.

I did not think of that. I will try that tomorrow. From what I can see by looking at the wiring diagram, the wires are different colors on the passenger side. Whether the positions of the wires on the passenger pigtail will match the driver side connector remains to be seen. As far the motors being bi-directional go, the mirror switch is pretty complicated and takes care of switching polarity. So I'm hoping that when testing all I have to do is switch the ground and current wires on two pins of the connector. Thanks shadowless

I might be wrong, but isn't the pigtail on the pass side the same? Couldn't you in theory just pop off the Pass side mirror, plug it in and test it that way?

I removed the passenger side mirror, and although the wires were different colors, the connectors fit and I was able to move the mirror with the switch.

Back