Testing normal transmission behavior ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Testing normal transmission behavior ?

hertfordnc

Reaction score
City, State
Hertford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4.6 xlt
My 2004 XLT just wen over 200,000 - runs great. I bought it at 110,000.

As far as i know the ATF and filter were never replaced.

So it was shifting a bit funny, occasionally not engaging for second when i put it in drive.

Finally last night i dropped the pan, replaced the filter and six quarts of MERC V.

A quick test drive, it engages immediately when i put in drive and shifts smoothly through the gears driving normally.

But of course driving normally is not a real test so i pasted the pedal to the floor (4.6 with 3.73 axle) and off we go. It ran through four gears smoothly an stopped shifting. Pedal to the floor, engine at about 5500 RPMS and it refuses to shift until i back off the gas a bit.

So, is that normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Amazing what clean fluid (even if it is only a 1/3 or 1/4) will do for a tranny.

Pretty much normal. Not sure I have been in that situation. You got it to 5500 RPM in fourth gear. Good doG how fast where you going.

It should have shift into 4th eventually with the gas pedal floored. Maybe it just needed a few more revs before doing so. Redline is at 6K. Isn't the shift point when floored jsut slightly under.

Ok, on the drive home i paid more attention. With the pedal flat it did eventually shift to 4th right near 6,000.

And then i keep it on the floor and the speed keeps climbing to around 85 but the revs stay at 6K.

The speed limit is 55 on this road so i stopped.

Driving aggressively but not flat on the floor it goes smoothly through all five gears.

I really have no complaints, especially with 200,000 miles. Just curious what normal should look like.

Ok, on the drive home i paid more attention. With the pedal flat it did eventually shift to 4th right near 6,000.

And then i keep it on the floor and the speed keeps climbing to around 85 but the revs stay at 6K.

The speed limit is 55 on this road so i stopped.

Driving aggressively but not flat on the floor it goes smoothly through all five gears.

I really have no complaints, especially with 200,000 miles. Just curious what normal should look like.

That doesn't sound normal. Normal for this transmission at 200K is to have exploded into a 1000 bits all over the highway when pushes to 80 at 6K rpms.
You got a good one. Wonder how long your Explorer will last. Our is at 145K and it seems to be nearing its end of life.

From all the horror stories I am beginning to think this trans may have blown before i got the car at 125,000. It's fully loaded XLT with a 4.6 -

We blew the engine at 145,000. Replaced it with a used engine that had 97K. I did TIming chain on the second engine at 185K (145K On engine)

Not the worst car I've had.

Back