• Register Today It's free!

tether anchors

mmacdon

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited
This is going to sound like a silly question but I have no idea what the tether anchors are supposed to look like. I have a 1999 Explorer Limited and I don't want to look like an idiot at the dealership. I have 2 hooks on the floor on the cargo area that look like a 'C' the is a gap in them so I am not sure if they are for the tether strap for a baby seat. They are also only behind the passenger seat and Dirvers seat not in the middle. Does anyone know if these are the tether anchor's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those 4 black hooks that you see in the cargo area are not for a child seat. They are just there to tie down cargo.

Unfortunately, I dunno where the proper child seat anchors are.

no..those are not them. I do not think your truck has them...but...they will install them I believe.

I had to install them on my 97 sport for our child seat, I bought the kit from Ford for like 24.00 and installed myself. I dropped my spare, drilled a hole in the floor so that the tether strap had about a 45 degree angle, and followed the instructions (pay attention to the washer placement) on the kit. Very easy to install, took like 15 minutes to complete.

The owner's manual for my '96 says the dealer will install them for free.

I asked them to do it when I had the X in for Service about a year ago (twins are now 3) and had them install them in all three seat positions.

They cut a little slice in the carpet, drilled a hole, and mounted the anchor. Kind of a square tab with a hole in the center, a little taller than flush with the decking, but the little carpet flap covers them when not in use.

BTW, they tried to charge me almost $100 for this, but I pointed out the passage in the owner's manual and they took it off the bill.

They do have to install them for free by law.

do they possibly make a kit for the first gen explorer's or are they too old.

You can use the tether kit on any year explorer, as the part is not year specific, it's basically a bolt, a couple of washers, and the hook for the tether.

Back