The Ford order/build/deliver timeline. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Ford order/build/deliver timeline.

2016 Explorer Sport Ordered

Last Friday I ordered my 2016 X Sport. I had shopped around because I was trading 2 vehicles in on 1. The wait time I was told was all over the place, 6-8 weeks, 8-10 weeks even 3 months. I feel dealers do this because they want to sell off their lots, and to cover their a$$ on the time line they give you. Each place had at least one 2016 and was ready to get it on the road. I don't think many people special order any more. I have always done this because I am a car nutt and I want a car exactly the way I want it, nothing less and nothing more.
My first new truck was a 1975 F-150 XLT. It was ordered in August and I got it a week before Christmas! First delay was waiting for the 460 CI. engine. Then after built it was lost with a whole load of trucks on a rail car and finally turned up in Kansas City and re-routed to Iowa.
Since then I have gotten them in as little 4 weeks with the norm being around 6 weeks. I think when you option one up a bunch you run a bigger chance of it being delayed due to waiting for one piece.
Anyway I hope to see my new ride mid-July. We'll see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last Friday I ordered my 2016 X Sport. I had shopped around because I was trading 2 vehicles in on 1. The wait time I was told was all over the place, 6-8 weeks, 8-10 weeks even 3 months. I feel dealers do this because they want to sell off their lots, and to cover their a$$ on the time line they give you. Each place had at least one 2016 and was ready to get it on the road. I don't think many people special order any more. I have always done this because I am a car nutt and I want a car exactly the way I want it, nothing less and nothing more.
My first new truck was a 1975 F-150 XLT. It was ordered in August and I got it a week before Christmas! First delay was waiting for the 460 CI. engine. Then after built it was lost with a whole load of trucks on a rail car and finally turned up in Kansas City and re-routed to Iowa.
Since then I have gotten them in as little 4 weeks with the norm being around 6 weeks. I think when you option one up a bunch you run a bigger chance of it being delayed due to waiting for one piece.
Anyway I hope to see my new ride mid-July. We'll see.
The usual time period seems to be 6 - 8 weeks. Being that it is early in the 2016 model year's production, I can see why a dealer wouldn't yet have a better idea. Also, going by this Forum, it appears that many members here have ordered theirs from the factory.

Peter

I placed my order for an Ex Sport (fully loaded) on May 6 and was told last week that it isn't expected to arrive until mid-August the latest which is more than the 6 - 8 week wait period I have been seeing as I am looking at 12 - 14 weeks. Currently it is not a huge deal as I am working overseas at the moment and will be another week and a half before I return to Canada. I am hoping it won't be that long, maybe it is just a Canadian thing in any event I have no choice but to wait.

I placed my order for an Ex Sport (fully loaded) on May 6 and was told last week that it isn't expected to arrive until mid-August the latest which is more than the 6 - 8 week wait period I have been seeing as I am looking at 12 - 14 weeks. Currently it is not a huge deal as I am working overseas at the moment and will be another week and a half before I return to Canada. I am hoping it won't be that long, maybe it is just a Canadian thing in any event I have no choice but to wait.
Welcome to the Forum.:salute:
That is a long wait period. Perhaps there is a substantial backlog of orders being it is a 'refreshed' model. I'm thinking that part of the delay is the one week shutdown for Summer holidays. I ordered my 2011 Limited just before Christmas 2010 and it was delivered to the dealership March 11th. I believe there was a 2 week+ 'Holiday' break during the process.

Peter

I saw an article about the shutdown and it said there was a backlog on the Explorer,Edge and F-150 due to strong sales. They hope to produce an extra 40K vehicles by trimming the shutdown to only 1 week.

The other issue with factory orders is where your dealer fits in to the scheduling and if they have specified "Build slots"

I learned a valuable lesson ordering my 2014 Sport, the Ford Scheduling system didnt even schedule my order for a couple months because my dealer had used up their "allocation or build slots"

So my order waited until they had their turn and my vehicle was then scheduled.

It was a long 5 months.

2 months just to get a VIN.

I just found out my Sport won't begin to be built until July 26 with an expected delivery by mid-August, I do have the VIN though.

I just found out my Sport won't begin to be built until July 26 with an expected delivery by mid-August, I do have the VIN though.

Wow. Why so long? With that said, I'm guessing the Platinum won't be ready until October/November.

Wow. Why so long? With that said, I'm guessing the Platinum won't be ready until October/November.
Remember that the factory is shutting down for a week for Summer holidays. Not sure which week that is though.

Peter

A lot of time it's the part suppliers not being able to keep up with demand. That was a contributing issue to my 14 Sport delay.

For example maybe a supplier like Lear can't produce the special seats for the Sport fast enough to keep up with demand so the Sport models wait longer to get a build date while Base and XLT models might get built even though they were ordered after yours.

Lots of variables in play.

This seems like a growing problem for Ford. All of the popular models are in short supply. I don't know how they expect to grow if they can't build what the customer wants. I gave up on the Explorer Platinum because it is taking too long and ordered a 16 Expedition Platinum instead.

I picked up my 2016 explorer sport last week

I visited about 4 different dealers looking at 2015's then decided we wanted a 2016. They all told us they something different about when 2016's would be available anywhere from after the 4th to November some time. We told the last dealer let us know when he had the color and options we wanted in stock, he called 3 days later and we picked it up last week. If I remember right it was built May 4th

Explorer%20Sport_zpsnmkyohhf.jpg

I visited about 4 different dealers looking at 2015's then decided we wanted a 2016. They all told us they something different about when 2016's would be available anywhere from after the 4th to November some time. We told the last dealer let us know when he had the color and options we wanted in stock, he called 3 days later and we picked it up last week. If I remember right it was built May 4th
Perhaps the ones mentioning November were including the Platinum. Your Window Sticker will show the build date. It's on the very bottom, right side. Congratulations on becoming a 2016 Sport owner.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Got a build date!

I heard from my dealer today he told me we got a build date for the week of July 6th with delivery around the 15th. I didn't think this was too bad seeing how I placed the order on June 5th and the plant is shut down this week. So we will see how close these dates are when it shows up.
2016 Explorer Sport, Magnetic, Package 400A, Navigation.

I heard from my dealer today he told me we got a build date for the week of July 6th with delivery around the 15th. I didn't think this was too bad seeing how I placed the order on June 5th and the plant is shut down this week. So we will see how close these dates are when it shows up.
2016 Explorer Sport, Magnetic, Package 400A, Navigation.

Hopefully they keep to their timeline. I ordered my 2016 XLT May 14 and my build date was June 15 with an ETA during the week of the 29th of June (this week). Considering we live about 1.5 hours from Chicago and the dealership is in Janesville it shouldn't take too long. Hope to have it by this upcoming weekend.

Congrats to those of you that have build dates. Anyone get one for a build date for a platinum yet?

I'm trying to track my vehicle and apparently my dealership said they can't track it after the build date (don't really beleive it) but here is my VIN if someone can help. 1FM5K8DH7GGA33136

I'm trying to track my vehicle and apparently my dealership said they can't track it after the build date (don't really beleive it) but here is my VIN if someone can help. 1FM5K8DH7GGA33136

They are full of crap.. there isnt much they can do while it sits in the shipping yard but once shipped, they can see every checkpoint it makes along the way.

There were over 13 checkpoints from CAP to my dealer and I saw them all in their computer. Again, this was once it shipped.

Hopefully they keep to their timeline. I ordered my 2016 XLT May 14 and my build date was June 15 with an ETA during the week of the 29th of June (this week). Considering we live about 1.5 hours from Chicago and the dealership is in Janesville it shouldn't take too long. Hope to have it by this upcoming weekend.

Hope you have better luck than we've had. Ordered
End of march , built June 8 .eta June 18. ...
Its still sitting in Chicago waiting shipment.July 1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered my 2016 Explorer Limited June 11. My order still hasn't been pulled. What's the delay?

Back