The new project

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
The new project for the spring: 1976 sportmaster stingray, 16', 140hp merc-cruiser i/o. She hasn't been on the water since 1991. She isn't pretty looking, it sat uncovered in a barn. So far the issues I have come across: wires to the amp meter, and gas gauge are chewed on by mice, as well as the power wire to the starter, and the alternator. The rest of the wiring looks good(besides the stereo, but I plan to redo that anyway) Hopefully it was winterized and fogged. We haven't dove into checking the motor in depth yet.

We have to get the '49 Allis Chalmers going first, which hasn't been started in 8 years. Once we get the tractor started, we can get the boat out.

SSPX1160.jpg

SSPX1159.jpg

Interior shots: Taken after I filled up a 30 gallon shop vac, twice. It was disgusting.

SSPX1162.jpg

SSPX1163.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks like it is going to be a good project boat, good luck iwth it,,

i have given you some info in pm's , if you need any more do not hesitate to ask,

I'm excited. As long as the motor doesn't need a total overhaul the project will move forward. Interior is better than it looks in the pictures. Its just dirty. It needs 2 cushions in the bow replaced, and the material over the engine cover re done. The trailer will need a little attention to the wiring and new tires but that shouldn't be hard. The repair money will all come from selling stuff we get for free/in the trash. I am fixing this boat up with a few friends.

Oh and the canopy cover is trashed, so for now we will go topless

A couple shots of ether, I'll bet that Allis fires right up. :thumbsup:

A couple shots of ether, I'll bet that Allis fires right up. :thumbsup:

I hope so. The battery(6 volt) wouldn't take a charge so we have to go buy a new one this week. While we are waiting on finding a place for the battery we cleaned the carb out. Saturday we will see. I'll snap a few more pics. All I have is my cell phone camera though.

Haven't updated in a while. Last time we worked on it was a few weekends ago. Upon inspecting the wiring to the dash I realized it has all been modified, so the diagrams are useless. I'm gonna wire nut some cut, possibly chewed, wires for now and when we fire it up (hopefully) I can track it down that way.

I fixed the bad wires to the alternator. The wire for the starter has been acquired and needs installed next. The fuel tank was removed and atleast 9 gallons of gass drained out. The interior is also mainly gutted as I started to sink through the floor so I tore it out to inspect. There is one massive hole in the middle where the wood needs patched. It should be hard to patch. It was full of moist pieces of everything imaginable from the mice carrying it down there.

In a side note the Allis is up and running like a charm.It needed all of the points cleaned so it could get a spark, as well as the carb cleaned.

Next warm weekend the boat comes out to try and turn it over after a little prep work.

Thought I'd update this. Tractor is up and running fine. The boat, not so much. The wiring is an utter disaster. The mice destroyed everything, the floor board is rotted, needs a few seals. Its just not worth it. We gave up on it and moved onto our side project of fixing lawn equipment. I have 14 weed wackers in my garage, that will keep me busy for a bit. We also have about 25+ push mowers, 6 tillers, maybe 7 or 8 leaf blowers, a few gas pressure washers, a wood chipper and probably some other items. Thats were my focus has been lately. About half were trash finds, the other 1/2 we picked up for 90 bucks. fix and sell on craigslist.

Update, the boat was sold to someone I know for a 125 bucks. The friend's family who's boat this was bought a 2002 Yamaha waverunner with only 29 hours. It is MINT, its 155hp 2-stroke. It'll do 65 no problem. They also bought a 2003 Seadoo boat, under 50 hours. Its a 155hp 4-stroke, seats 4, it can turn on a dime at 50mph.

We took both the waverunner and boat to Georgia last week. Incredibly fun, the water was smooth as glass, and 90 degrees.

The kid who bought this boat has replaced the entire floor, rewired it, and now its running. I saw a video, sounded very healthy, and he said it fired right up, pretty impressive after sitting with gas in the tank and carb for 20 years. He said the interior just needs put back together. I think he should replace the boot on the outdrive shaft, it seemed a bit dry and cracked last I saw it, other than that it should be good to test in the spring I guess.

I wish we would have had the time and place to redo the boat, but after my friend's family brought home the new watercrafts there was no place, and with work none of us had the time to devote to it. That and the wiring project was thrown into my lap and I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I'm just glad, and I'm sure my friend (the one who owned the boat) is too, that it will be out on the water again.

The kid who's boat this is now sent me a picture of the boat on the lake. Its running, just needs a few interior pieces redone. He said he may sell it because he just acquired a big Chris Craft with a 5.4 v8 for free, so that is his next project.

Back