New project

janolsson

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Leicester, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Ex at the mo
Those of you that have met me or read a few of my threads will know i like a challenging project. I also like to think i am a nice guy so i thought i'd do something for charity (really an excuse for me havin fun but shhh don't tell anyone).
So i decided to do a gumball type banger rally around europe and try and get sponsorship to raise funds for Macmillan. These rallies have different rules regarding the cost of the car and i haven't decided yet which one to go on so i set my budget at £200 as this is maximum for a couple of the rallies.
Armed with this budget and the time of year (xmas) i thought i might pick up a bargain on ebay as people are spending their money on pressies or buying a car that works coz theirs has just crapped out in the cold. I came close on a Porsche 924 and again on a mazda mx5 but both exceeded my budget. You will note that these are somewhat sporty, i thought if i'm gonna rag around europe it would be more fun in a sporty little number rather than a knackered family saloon.
Today i picked up the car that will hopefully become my glorious chariot for this adventure for the pocket busting sum of £190. I will tell you what it is when i've taken some photo's and investigated how bad it really is.
What i will tell you is that it is 2 seater, mid engined, YELLOW(mostly):cool: and the engine does not turn over and told there is a gearbox problem. The electrics have been messed around with and there is an aftermarket alarm. All in all its gonna be a mission.

On the plus side i towed it home (20 miles) on a tow pole with the ex and had no problems. The old girl pulled and stopped as one would hope.

Thats all for now gotta go find another forum for this one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like an interesting project, and for a good cause.

If you need an extra pair of hands I'm not too far away!

Sounds like an interesting project, and for a good cause.

If you need an extra pair of hands I'm not too far away!

Thanks rob
How are you with electrics LOL. If i can hit it with a hammer or attack it with my grinder then i'm good but electronics is voodoo.

mid engine, 2 seater? either a Fiat X19 or an MR2 for that money?

Personally I hope it's an X19 :D I had one for nearly 18 years - not standard of course !

also your question on electrics means its Italian

mid engine, 2 seater? either a Fiat X19 or an MR2 for that money?

Personally I hope it's an X19 :D I had one for nearly 18 years - not standard of course !

also your question on electrics means its Italian

Unfortunately i doubt i'd get a viable exxy for that money. Shame tho because i too had one for about 8 years. 1500 VS in all black with euro sport front and rear bumpers and little side skirts. High lift cam, K&N, lightened flywheel, braided brake hoses, bigger rear calipers (fiat 132) with grooved tarrox discs. Went like stink !!!!
I knew every bolt on that thing.
So sadly its the aforementioned rice rocket (MR2). Electrics have been messed around a bit with starter button, lazy eye mod, aftermarket stereo and alarm and a few wires hanging around.

Gonna get into it in the next few days after work calms down a bit.
Thanx for the interest

Pity :(

my X19 was a special hybrid turbo motor that I had built (£9000 in 1995) by Rimmini brothers in Street, 220 BHP at the flywheel, very trick, I also had them build a special gearbox with crash gears and an LSD. (another £3000) She was painted Farrari Red with Black leather interior.

I also converted it to a roadster, with many custom panels.

Her name was Jesabel.

Wife and I did some mega tours (i.e. Scandanavia- 6000 miles in 2 weeks). We actually crossed the artic circle in 4 different countries.

Eastern Europe, Spain and Italy

She won best modified car at the 25th Aniversary X19 owners club anual rally

Aha my mispent youth! - - then we started having kids.

here's a picture of her in 1997, after the second evolution, 5 years later I did the final changes...

Attachments

• 07_big.jpg
    07_big.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 410

Pity :(

my X19 was a special hybrid turbo motor that I had built (£9000 in 1995) by Rimmini brothers in Street, 220 BHP at the flywheel, very trick, I also had them build a special gearbox with crash gears and an LSD. (another £3000) She was painted Farrari Red with Black leather interior.

I also converted it to a roadster, with many custom panels.

Her name was Jesabel.

Wife and I did some mega tours (i.e. Scandanavia- 6000 miles in 2 weeks). We actually crossed the artic circle in 4 different countries.

Eastern Europe, Spain and Italy

She won best modified car at the 25th Aniversary X19 owners club anual rally

Aha my mispent youth! - - then we started having kids.

here's a picture of her in 1997, after the second evolution, 5 years later I did the final changes...

DROOOOOL :D
I had planned to do the uno turbo transplant but the body rotted out on me and work took over my life.

I'm lovin the roadster look but i like the rear window stopping the wind buffeting.

Did you buy the supercharged 1st generation or the turbocharged 2nd generation?

I think its the normally aspirated 2L rev1 mk2 jap import t top.
i Haven't even had the engine cover off yet(i'm hoping to find a fettled turbo charged wonder under there but no boost guage so am assuming not) as i towed it boxing day then had family commitments and have been working since. I'll get to have a play on friday.
It may sound odd buying a car that i know nothing about but thats the fun of ebay and projects, bought unseen.

Update

Ok guys let me start by saying this is the only update i'll have on this forum for this project other than a post to give you a link to the facebook site i'm gonna set up.
Obviously this is not an explorer so shouldn't be on here. Feel free to pm me if you have any comments, helpful hints/experience etc.

So the update;
Got the engine running today and sounds ok but a bit ticky on the tappets and i got a slight oil drip on the back of it somewhere.
When first started it only just idles and touch the throttle and it dies. (could be temp sensor or cold start injector??)

Give it some beans and there is a noise of bits of metal rattling around. Also cant engage gearbox with engine running but can with engine off. So i'm thinkin the cltch could be in bits.
All electrics work, mirrors, windows, fan, lights etc
Still got 2 after market switches i have to back trace to see what they are supposed to do.
Got high flow air filter and poly engine mount and dual out big bore exhaust (a bit loud for me but not in the budget to replace anything that works!!)
So now i gotta drop the engine and box to see what i can find (hoping just a clutch but could be a box too).
The paint work is a mess. A really bad job changing the colour from light blue to yellow, and it's flaking off all over the place.
080111%20whole%20car.jpg

This is the idea on colour scheme
colour.JPG

The light green being a pearlescent and the darker green or black also being highly pearlescent (prob go with black unless i find the right dark green)

Thanks for lookin
And remember this will be for charity so i will update you with the fbook ad so you can give generously to Macmillan cancer support.
Peace & Love

Interesting. Good luck!

DUDE THATS HEROIC!!
Tell you what- let me know how I can pay some money to you for petrol to help you with this adventure!?
Come on guys- seems like a great cause and one of our very own is on the making it work end!............Join me and lets make this a little bit easier for our man in a can!

Thanks H
But i'm covering all the costs or trying to get commercial sponsorship to help with parts, fuel, gadgets or whatever. What i will be doing is setting up a page on justgiving.com so people can directly give to Macmillan and i will have a record of it so i can personally thank them.
I will be setting up that and a face book site in the next couple of days so i will keep you posted
regards

Update

Hi guys
Just thought i'd give you a quick update as the whole facebook idea doesn't work for me. I am gonna do a web site instead (just gotta work out how to do that:D)

Well you may or may not have noticed i've not been posting much. this is because i have spent a lot of time on mr2 forums gathering info to help me with the rebuild.

So far i have the engine and box out and found the pressure plate in the clutch had bust into 4 bits and smash the pressure plate housing and smashed the inside of the bell housing including a hole to the inards (new box then!) and the neck of the casing for the starter.
engine%20out.jpg
Certainly easier than the explorer
pressure%20plate%20in%20bits.jpg

Whilst removing the drive train i had to undo a lot of the suspension. I found a sticking caliper, disc worn to 1-2mm on one side, split droplink ball joint boots and split ball joints. On the plus side all the bushes look in good order.

So just spent some hard earned cash on droplinks, ball joints, clutch (3 piece fast road), drive shaft seals, a front side light, t stat, starter and gearbox.
THIS IS STARTING TO ADD UP (Just don't tell my missus)

I now have the engine on a stand ready for r&r and have sourced top end gasket kit and bottom end gasket kit (how much, just for a few gaskets!!!)
On the shopping list now is a new water pump and timing belt.

Thanks for looking
:chug:

Making good progress!

It looks like you're having a great time and making good progress Jan! I've rather enjoyed working on my DOHC Volvo 850 turbo tranverse FWD 5 cylinder but I've been able to avoid pulling the driveshafts so far. A mid-engine transverse 4 cylinder must be quite a challenge. That pressure plate is certainly a mess!

Can I get a picture of the electric ps pump?

In the states that car used an electric ps pump to supply fluid to the rack... I am thinking of using one similar to it in the Ex...I just need to get a general idea of the space requirements of it...

Thanks and great luck on this project car...I am still looking for a Merkur Scorpio in Texas...I wish I had never sold mine...:mad:

In the states that car used an electric ps pump to supply fluid to the rack... I am thinking of using one similar to it in the Ex...I just need to get a general idea of the space requirements of it...

Thanks and great luck on this project car...I am still looking for a Merkur Scorpio in Texas...I wish I had never sold mine...:mad:

Sorry ranger
Took the photos and never got back to you, If you still need them pm me your email and i'll send them.

Update

Ok Guys
first off sorry this is not about an ex but most of you are a little bit petrol headed so i know you'll appreciate it

This is how the car stands as of this morning
Sainsrear.jpg

Sainsside2.jpg

It has taken me a lot longer than expected mainly due to the foul weather for a couple of months ago, but she passed the MOT first time and has been driving beautifully the last 2 weeks.
Did have a little hiccup half hour after the MOT when the new friction plate in the clutch decided to disintegrate, which took me a couple of weeks to diagnose and then replace.
Just gotta fit the CB and paint the roof line black.

If you want to see more pics of work done you can find them here
mr2 project
And my blog is Rebuild blog
I head off across europe next Friday, 7 countries in 7 days ending in Prague :D
I may even find Lichtenstein (spelling??)

My charity is Macmillan Cancer support so if you think it is a worthwhile cause I'm accepting donations at http://justgiving.com/Jan-Olsson

or you can text TBAR91 £1 to 70070 to donate a quid

Cheers boys and girls
Jan

OK peeps, i'm outa here

As the heading suggests in a little while i'm off on my little jaunt around europe.

Please donate a quid or whatever you can afford

Thanks
Jan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm back in one piece as is the car :)

Well hello all
I made it back and so did the car. I had to change a brake light bulb and nip up the rocker cover bolts but that aside the car was perfect.

I was the envy of a lot of the guys that came in slow old family saloons but they thought i wouldn't make it!!! I showed em.
There was another mr2 that only lasted 2 days and other cars fell by the wayside thro the week.

Not the best car for cruising the autobahns but when it came to the mountain passes i couldn't stop grinning and droping gears thro the tunnels :D

Thanks go to Rob (ilikemice) for the loan of a whip for my CB

The journey home was monotonous but i made it from prague to leics in about 16 hours.

If you haven't already, please donate a quid

Just gonna spend the afternoon on facebook and my blog and justgiving.

Oh did i mention, if you can afford to please donate a quid

Regards
Jan

Back