The Turbo 4.0L Explorer project... | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Turbo 4.0L Explorer project...

Started a similar topic over in the the modified section, but figured it would be more helpfull in this section.. Mods, feel free to axe the other thread..

Here is the truck:
explorer_clean.jpg

Fuel management, (megasquirt)
explorer_ms.jpg

Turbo install
turbo_done_1.jpg

Currently at 4psi and working good... Turbo is a T4 with a .50 compressor and 1.18 exhaust.. I threw this setup together over the weekend with the spare parts I had laying around..

Cheers,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this thread is awsome why did it die down so much......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How is the water injection working out?

How is the water injection working out?

It's working quite well though I would like to have some more control over it.. I'm going to hook it up to the secondary injector circuit in the megasquirt so I can have precise control at all RPM and boost points..

Later,

ok so im new into the world of turbo's and i have about 40% of the part's i need to go turbo on my navajo , i already have a intercooler ,BOV ,turbo timer ,most of the line's and hardware , im looking at getting a t3/t4 .50 trim turbo ,my coworker is a former machineist and he said he can make all of the bracket's exh pipe's and etc i will need , im still a lil weary about the tuning process and the fuel process , and help will be greatly appreciated , thank you in advance, Bruce

bump , read 2nd to last post , thanx !!!

Wish I could help you.

ANyone know the tuning for a 91 Model?

I seem to remember hearing about some guys swaping in an EEC IV to take care of the tuning but I'm not 100% sure. Might be something to search for on the internet.

For something like that, I'd probably go with something like a Megasquirt with a MAP sensor (which is also what the original poster used). That way the tune is based on measured boost.

Check www.theturboforums.com to learn more about turbocharging a vehicle that didn't come with one. Tons of info there. I don't know your knowledge level, so a little warning...search around ALOT before asking basic questions. Otherwise people will ignore stupid questions and tell you to search anyway. You don't see many turbocharged V6 trucks there though, so go ahead and post up your project plans there.

Start here for tuning info: http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=774246dab8e8ba45c56ac547f80ba793&board=11.0

this is my single T3 on my 91 im only running 5lbs with no tune or fuel modds yet. I dirive it 2 or more hours a day and it boosts great with no intercooler and venting after the maf. Soon I will be purchasing the aftermarket oem replacment heads and upgrading the fuel system and tune and throw my boost controler on it. I built my homemade kit in about 30 hours of labor and in a gravvel driveway and spent less than 150$
DSC03694.jpg

it still needs alot of attention like paint, custom radiator brackets, adn so on...

oh the 5 lbs of boost comes on before 2k in any gear depending on the load

Back