The Turbo 4.0L Explorer project... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Turbo 4.0L Explorer project...

Started a similar topic over in the the modified section, but figured it would be more helpfull in this section.. Mods, feel free to axe the other thread..

Here is the truck:
explorer_clean.jpg

Fuel management, (megasquirt)
explorer_ms.jpg

Turbo install
turbo_done_1.jpg

Currently at 4psi and working good... Turbo is a T4 with a .50 compressor and 1.18 exhaust.. I threw this setup together over the weekend with the spare parts I had laying around..

Cheers,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, he hasn't started off here very well. It is much better to be patient at first and discover what everyone knows before throwing around the resume. We can learn from each other, as well as help too.

Just make note that this is a written medium, we cannot see facial expressions and tell that what has been said is going the wrong way. Here, like in all forums, you should make general statements or very specific detailed statements, to avoid confusion. When we know each other better we can kid around or joke with each other, knowing that we won't take it the wrong way. Newcomers and regular members need to be patient and learn how each other writes, etc.

Take a breath and start over, I put my foot in my mouth every once in a while. I hope that others will just allow me to correct myself, or learn from it. Regards,
That's fine I am not mad now. It's just he jumped in to my post and started to say my S@*T is junk and I have not even showed him or anyone else pics of the kits.By the way all pips are mandrell bent pipes hot and cold sides. I do not like pepole talking to me like that when they don't even know who I am or what I know. The thing of it was I was not even talking to him then he had put his 2 cent in to my post.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thank you very much I am glad to be here. What are you wheels off of ( what Truck/car did they come off of).

To start off with the reason I said about the 2.9 is due to the fact that the 4.0 is so much more durrable than the 2.9 liter, and Im was stating a fact of what I did with the 2.9. As far as the 10 lbs of boost goes. Everyone has their own opinion about something. Ok,, then maybe keep your comments to yourself until you actually do a forced induction 4.0 L motor you don't have nothing to stand on. But your guessing and think I know it all attitude. Unless you have some proof to back it up . Otherwise who cares. I mean all your vast knowledge you say you have. .Then why aren't you here making all these turbo kits and selling them since you are "God of the turbo section"?
Im not sitting here ragging on your truck running 20lbs of boost on a regular 4.6 L. I don't care what you have you can do what you want . I didnt mislead anybody in my post, you just took it the wrong way. I was very clear on my explanation. Your just to quick to judge and make adverse comments on something you say you have knowledge on. What experience and knowledge do you have to back up your claims?? I have the FMU on the engine as a back up, I do not have an after the market stand alone fuel injection system that I can just hook my laptop up toand change the peramiters I am not relying on the FMU for proper tuning of my truck. Like I stated in my last post aparently you are not reading it correctly.
or maybe you really don't understand it . My Air Fuel Ratio is 11.7. For your information! I have been working as a technition atleast 25 years and I have built and tuned all of my vehicles ,freinds and customers. Plenty of long term
research and knowledge. I am not the type of person that you are stating that I stand around and watch people work on my cars, so don't be so quick to think you are better then anyone else and make judgement calls when you have no Idea of who I am and where I came from. You have allot of nerve sitting here making those acusations. Maybe you do that. But I don't care.
This is such imature crap and I am too busy to waste time on little things like
this. Oh and the mention about the car on Pinks was a referance not to rub it into anybodys face. I would agree that there are some idiots on pinks, but thats my opinion. and really who cares if you go and have a blast and the experience is something not everyone has had.. But Im not bashing either. You said that in a quote of your comment "You get what you pay for" so how can you fortell that my kit is junk, when you havn't even seen my kit in person. You stress facts here but yet, you are judgeing people without
facts. You make no sense! don't be so quick to jump on my case, My kits
are not expensive because for one, Im not greedy, and two there is no over
head. So why not,, get volume verses high cost and you can do well for yourself with out breaking the bank for other people. I Have had no problems
with people saving money and getting Exactly what they wanted. These people are no Idiots . You are insulting there Intelegence. Also I stated in my old post if anybody has any questions at all (questions not bashes ) let me know! This is the end of my conversation between you and I.

Whether I have done FI on a 4.0 SOHC or not does not negate the fact that running 15 psi on that stock bottom end, regardless of the strong stock internals, is not smart.

Actually I am roughly 95% done with a prototype turbo kit I plan to offer for another vehicle here soon. I am also an STS Turbo dealer which I usually offer to the Explorer crowd so I am selling those kits in Universal form too. I guess your comment about "why aren't you here making all these turbo kits and selling them" does not really sound like a smart comment now does it?... ;)

The reason you do not rag on my 4.6 liter with 20 psi of boost is because that engine is built to withstand 1,000+ hp. It can take the 20 psi, your stock 4.0 will not hold up well to that 15 psi you plan to throw at it, but good luck. In built form that 4.0 will take 15 psi just fine but not in stock form.

Who said anything of an aftermarket standalone fuel injection system??? I just mentioned proper computer tuning. You do realize that the Ford custom tuning offered through SCT does this stuff right? Nothing like Megasquirt, FAST, or BS3 needed for what I am talking about.

What accusations did I make? I just stated my observations about your vehicle. I also made it clear that just because a person owns a certain car does not translate into knowledge or understanding. Good luck coming up with an example of an "accusation" I made towards you.

Sorry, but $1,000 will not get you much of a real turbo kit. $1,000 is barely enough to buy a good turbo, let alone all the other parts necessary. Get a used JY turbo and you take many chances on the quality; though they can be fouund. Buy an Ebay turbo and take a huge chance on quality too. I would take that chance with my personal vehicles, but NOT WITH MY CUSTOMERS. Sorry but I do not see where $1,000 will be able to get a person a quality kit. Go ahead and post the price and component breakdown. I am curious to see what is included in this "kit" of yours that costs $1,000. What condition will the components be in? New, Used??? The reason I pointed out you pricing and the potential lack of quality of the components in the kit is because I am actually trying to look out for the lesser knowledgeable people on this forum. I have been here for over 5 years and actually give a crap about these people and if they get screwed over by some new guy offering what is likely to be a turbo kit of lacking quality. Allot of these people do not know any better so I make it my job to look out for them and ask the questions they would not know to ask. You are new and right off the bat tried selling these people stuff. I have seen many types do just that same thing that end up being dirtbags. I am not calling you one, but so far your actions do resemble the ones I have ran into on the forums I am a part of.

I merely made a few technical statements in my original post directed towards you. It seems that you could not just talk tech and instead preferred to get all bent out of shape. If you cannot handle a person making a technical observation about your project vehicle then grow a thicker skin. I call it as I see it. 15 psi on stock 4.0 Explorer = boom! $1,000 turbo kit = You get what you pay for. I never called it "junk" like you have repeatedly accused me of. But since we are being honest, I think that it likely will be a hacked together poor version of a kit for $1,000.

When you are ready to have a real technical discussion instead of squabbling then let me know.

I have a 98 2wd 5speed Explorer Sport and I have done a intercooled turbo set on it ans I am useing a FMU + 24lb hr injectors with a 80mm MAF and its a drawthru then it gose in to the turbo inlet and a 307 intank fuel pump. The turbo that Iam useing is a stock Grand National turbo and Iam running about 14-15lbs of boost I also have turbo SX dule stage boost controler. As far as the the Exh goes I had kept the stock exh all the way back to last cat and came out of the and used a 2 1/2 U bend to bring it back up to the front of the truck. I had ran it the driver side of the trans the when it got to the front of the oil pan and the back of the rack and crossed over to up and in to the Turbo whitch is just behine the head light where the overflow/washer bottle what i did here is cut the two in half in stalled the overflow behind the grill and then attached it there. Then reinstall the washer bottle back in the stock location. As far as the oilfeed line gose I put a T-fitting inline where the oil sending unit is used a small AN fitting and used steel braided line about 4' long. The return line I used a -10 line and used a push lock-line and ran it back to the passanger side V-cover just like the vortech system dose. The intercooler is mounted behined the front bumper ( Iam useing the 02 ranger ( Lightning ) bumper cover I had install it just below the rad suport all the intercooler/exh pipeing is all mandrual bent tubing with all the high temp silacone hoses in Blue or black w/ t-bolt clamps . I will be takeing Pics of the system today or tomarrow and will be posting them on here and all the other Explorer/Ranger sites that I belong to. I will
be didgatizing all the pipeing and going to offer a do-it your self kit and I will be offering a kit that I will do the insalation as wel for the pepole that do not have the skill/Time or the tools ect to do the job. You can ship or drop your other ford vehicel off to me and I will do every thing. I had the truck dynoed befor the installed the turbo with the small mods (24lb hr injectors,80mm MAF,electric fan,K&N air filter) and it pulled 178 rwhp. I have not been able to get back on the dyno yet. Right now I am in the Maryland area. till about Dec then I will be moveing down south. If anyone has any ? or if you want a kit (kits start @ 1000.00 diy non-intercooled and up for complet kit including in-tank fuel pump,injectors,FMU you can post on here or Email me at l8psiExplorer@aol.com Tank you for reading my post sorry for it being so long.

FMU's= ouch!

Oh yeah, the 4.0 SOHC is stout, but not THAT stout. :p:

I know of several 4.0L with 15psi of boost. Is this safe? Time will only tell. Good tuning is the key to all of this, if the a/f's are good and timing is conservative then I believe the 4.0L has a better chance of staying together than the 4.6 with the "hyperrejectic pistons" coupled to the "powder cracktic" rods, the major exception is obviously the 4.6L in 03-04 Cobra's and 5.4's in Shelby 500's-which have exceptional forged bottom ends.Fortunately for the SOHC and OHV 4.0L's they have steel crank and forged rods so the pistons and the rod bolts are the only suspect. Although if I had a customer come to me with 10+psi of boost I would warn of the dangers because 15psi that amount of boost is definately beginning to push the envelope.
I personally just got through tuning my truck with 12# of boost with a real agressive tune. I would never send a tune out as agressive as I have in my truck, but this is my truck and I don't have to worry about a pissed customer. Also I have the fuel system,meth, and a big azz intercooler. So the hardware is there.
Hyperutectic pistons can run a decent amount of boost but cannot tolerate any detonation at all as they assist in making a window in the block during failure. As Robert already knows (I would be preaching to the chior to him) you can tune higher boost with the pistons but it isn't recommended.

I know of several 4.0L with 15psi of boost. Is this safe? Time will only tell. Good tuning is the key to all of this, if the a/f's are good and timing is conservative then I believe the 4.0L has a better chance of staying together than the 4.6 with the "hyperrejectic pistons" coupled to the "powder cracktic" rods, the major exception is obviously the 4.6L in 03-04 Cobra's and 5.4's in Shelby 500's-which have exceptional forged bottom ends.Fortunately for the SOHC and OHV 4.0L's they have steel crank and forged rods so the pistons and the rod bolts are the only suspect. Although if I had a customer come to me with 10+psi of boost I would warn of the dangers because 15psi that amount of boost is definately beginning to push the envelope.
I personally just got through tuning my truck with 12# of boost with a real agressive tune. I would never send a tune out as agressive as I have in my truck, but this is my truck and I don't have to worry about a pissed customer. Also I have the fuel system,meth, and a big azz intercooler. So the hardware is there.
Hyperutectic pistons can run a decent amount of boost but cannot tolerate any detonation at all as they assist in making a window in the block during failure. As Robert already knows (I would be preaching to the chior to him) you can tune higher boost with the pistons but it isn't recommended.

James, no doubt that stock for stock the 4.0 SOHC V6 has a much much better chance of withstanding higher boost than a 4.6 SOHC V8. I have seen a few people push 15psi successfully but I do believe it is on bigtime borrowed time. Justin S. from a certain tuning organization that we know of is running 15 psi on his wife's 06 4.0 Mustang but then again he is a tuner and has probably taken all proper precaution to ensure as little chance for damage as possible. I am sure you would agree with me (preaching to your choir now :D;)) that it doesn't seem like the case here based upon certain things that were said; and/or rather not said.
As allot of you know, James and I are business partners and I obviously have one heck of allot of faith in his abilities with the 4.0 V6 platform. If even he called me up tomorrow and said he planned to run 15 psi on his engine I would say "Thats cool! " but have my fingers crossed for his engine because after a certain point the best tuning in the world and the most safety precautions taken will still not be enough. I think 15 psi is REALLY pushing that limit even for a performance shop owner, let alone for the normal Joe on the street.

18psiexplorer, or whatever your name is, I didn't mean to get you all pissed off and trying to defend your project. You have a turbo Explorer which is cool. I believe I mentioned something to that affect in my first reply to you. I do have some very big reservations of that stock engine of yours actually holding together with 15 psi of boost with the other mods you have done to the vehicle. You are running an FMU (we already mentioned how that is a no-no) and then relying on that to squeeze enough fuel through your injectors which are half of the size of what they should be in this situation. 24 lb injectors? It should be more like 55lb or probably even 60lb/hr injectors with that 15 psi boost, no FMU, and a proper tune to have things done correctly on your fueling side of things. As a person who works on many other people's performance vehicles I have learned to see the "potential problem vehicles" coming a mile away and I see many questionable things here. I do wish you good luck with it and hope it does stay together for a long time for you though. Just make sure that you have a video cam on hand in the glovebox so that if/when the engine lets go you can tape the carnage. :salute:

Rocket is helping me to build (Hopefully the next) STS turbo Exploder. I've been around, and I'm in many forums and I choose Rocket and Jah (hensonperformance) over any of the other tuners and I have many reasons why.

But anyways, what was this thread about anyways? oh yeah, it's a turbo exploder with custom mandrel bent pipes! ;)

But anyways, what was this thread about anyways? oh yeah, it's a turbo exploder with custom mandrel bent pipes! ;)

You are right Jakee. Amac I apologize for contributing to your thread getting off topic. Back on topic. :thumbsup:

Its somewhat nice to hear that the 4.0s can somewhat represent in the blown world. Seeing how much negative action the OHCs get for the timing chain problems, but really once fixed they are quite reliable. If I didn't have to get my transmission rebuilt, the original plan was to pull it out and do front and back tensioners, ect. along with headers and probably rebuild the heads for sh*ts an gigles.

Now that 4.0 push rod engine, she's a old beaut!! Especially with that turbo right next to it, A+ job Amac

Just wish the trans where a little bit stronger, I mean, I have no problem with the 5r55e, mine lasted me 130k with hauling and at times I was not easy on it. Sometimes its unavoidable but i've always found, be smooth with the gas pedal, that has probably saved my trans more then anything. Along with the new fluid every 2 years...lol

I loved the 15" Limited wheels that my 93 had, but the clear coat went away fast about three years ago. When I started rebuilding a 99 Limited, I discovered the 99-01's had 16" wheels. I have nine of the 99-01 wheels, four for snow tires. Those on my truck in that only decent picture above are the 18" Moven wheels from my Mountaineer. I was using the Mountaineer with the 16" tires for work, I didn't want to ruin the brand new 18" tires.

Back to the topic, James you inspired me to get my SOHC ready for tuning. If I can get the best tune then I should have the whole combination done, mods and fluids etc. I might get to installing the small balancer tomorrow, a muffler and 2.5" tailpipe next week.

The PCM programming can make all the difference for performance and reliability. It's worth the investment, more than the other upgrades that people do. Regards,

Rocket is helping me to build (Hopefully the next) STS turbo Exploder. I've been around, and I'm in many forums and I choose Rocket and Jah (hensonperformance) over any of the other tuners and I have many reasons why.

Who is going to tune your turbo project? And when is the eta of the project to start?-j

Back to the topic, James you inspired me to get my SOHC ready for tuning. If I can get the best tune then I should have the whole combination done, mods and fluids etc. I might get to installing the small balancer tomorrow, a muffler and 2.5" tailpipe next week.

The PCM programming can make all the difference for performance and reliability. It's worth the investment, more than the other upgrades that people do. Regards,
Thanks for the kind words. I am glad to inspire people in a positive way.

James, no doubt that stock for stock the 4.0 SOHC V6 has a much much better chance of withstanding higher boost than a 4.6 SOHC V8. I have seen a few people push 15psi successfully but I do believe it is on bigtime borrowed time. Justin S. from a certain tuning organization that we know of is running 15 psi on his wife's 06 4.0 Mustang but then again he is a tuner and has probably taken all proper precaution to ensure as little chance for damage as possible. I am sure you would agree with me (preaching to your choir now :D;)) that it doesn't seem like the case here based upon certain things that were said; and/or rather not said. :salute:
Keep your fingers crossed as my boost will creep up through the year. Wish me luck. One thing to note is that I wouldn't ever tune this aggressive for one of my customers. Period! And would definately warn about the potential probs with this much boost on a stock bottom end.

James - I'm hoping you're going to tune my turbo project?

I wish I could place a date on the start but I can't. What I can say is I'm buying the basic kit from Rocket this week. My plan is to, little by little, start gathering the other parts needed; like the MAF, the intercooler, the piping, and so on, so I can't say when I'll be ready for you to tune it.

I really wish I could dedicate all my spare time to this project but I can't. I have a house to build.....;)

I really wish I could dedicate all my spare time to this project but I can't. I have a house to build.....;)

Pshhhht, excuses!!!

;)

James - I'm hoping you're going to tune my turbo project?

I wish I could place a date on the start but I can't. What I can say is I'm buying the basic kit from Rocket this week. My plan is to, little by little, start gathering the other parts needed; like the MAF, the intercooler, the piping, and so on, so I can't say when I'll be ready for you to tune it.

Gotcha, I will toon if you want me to. I need an excuse to come to Texas.

I wish it was an excuse.

AMAC - Everything still working good?

can yall post some HP numbers of these turbo Explorer

Jakee - Everything is A-1, minus a few lean spots in the map and some cold start tuning to sort out.. Starting to drop below freezing around here, so I'm going to have to play with the cold start stuff some more just to get it right..

Cheers,

can yall post some HP numbers of these turbo Explorer

I post track times because this is an indication of the real world results for the truck. Unfortunately people only tend to look at the peak dyno #'s and forget to look at the average. I can tell you, my combination have made as much as some stock terminators with air kits and catbacks.. I will leave it at that.

I post track times because this is an indication of the real world results for the truck. Unfortunately people only tend to look at the peak dyno #'s and forget to look at the average. I can tell you, my combination have made as much as some stock terminators with air kits and catbacks.. I will leave it at that.

What's a Terminator??? Is that like the movie or something? :D

Back