The UNIMOG is Coming! The UNIMOG is Coming! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The UNIMOG is Coming! The UNIMOG is Coming!

FlyAU

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 GLI, 2013 Escape
Clear the way: Giant SUV to hit U.S. roads
February 21, 2000
Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Frankfurt, Germany (AP)-- It's the mother of all SUVs: 9 feet 7 inches tall, 20 feet long, 7 feet wide and a stunning 12,500 pounds.

"If you want the ultimate in versatile vehicles, this is it," DaimlerChrysler spokesman Othmar Stein said today in announcing the so-called Unimog, a truck currently made by Mercedes in Germany. "This thing makes the Hummer look anemic."

DaimlerChrysler will start taking U.S. orders for the Unimog through its U.S. unit Freightliner, the country's top maker of heavy trucks, in October.

The diesel-fueled vehicle, which has a 52-gallon tank and gets about 10 miles per gallon, will still be produced in Germany, Stein said.

But the new thrust is to target the American market: affluent off-road enthusiasts, fire departments and businesses needing to haul about 13,000 pounds of passengers and cargo.

Stein said it is unlikely to catch on as a favorite for soccer moms because of the price of the vehicle, which he would only say will be "very expensive."

A report in The New York Times put the base price at $84,000.

The Unimog is a foot longer than Ford Motor Co.'s Excursion and 3.5 inches wider than the Hummer, a vehicle whose design is based on an American military transport.

The Unimog sales brochures sums it up this way: "You don't need roads when you can make your own."

Freightliner hopes to sell about 1,000 Unimogs a year, Stein said.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I don't think I would call it an SUV. It's more of a UV. When I grew up in Germany in the '50's, it was used as an all around utility vehicle by municipal work crews, road maintenance crews, fire departments, utility companies, etc. And I believe that's still the intended use. It comes with a 3 range transfer case, power take offs (multiple), you name it, it's got it or can be added. It's used for plowing snow, cut weeds along the highway, I've seen farmers (rich ones) use it for plowing fields.
You can even switch (on some models) the steering column along with the instrument panel and pedals from left hand to right hand driving by releasing a lever and shifting it over.

Here is a link to the Mercedes website.

Dead Link Removed

This takes you to the medium duty model.

A few highlights:
Ground clearance: 18 in
Gears: 8 forward in 3 ranges. Low (or crawl) range .07 to 1 mph, top speed about 55 mph.

Ouch...

Pretty Pricy! Someone we met fourwheeling once bought one of those for $6000. Of course it was a 1969 model completely restored. But it had all the parts and looked like new. Ordered it from some company in FL. I think I would do some searching before buying a new one! For that price, I'd rather spend a few more bucks and get a custom hummer!

You can get end sixties, beginning seventies models in good conditions from the Swiss Army for about $2000.00. They have a gas-engine and return about 6 miles to the gallon. At least, they don't require 93 octane ;)

Originally posted by FlyAU
The Unimog sales brochures sums it up this way: "You don't need roads when you can make your own."

That is going to go over well I bet...

Anyway check out www.maximog.com This vehicle is based on the Unimog frame and I knew about this modern day Unimog before Chrysler/Freightliner decided to come out with one. It can go through like 5-6 feet of water!

Peter, I am not quite familiar with the way you posted the crawl ratio , would that be 700:1?

Brian

Don't know what the ratio in crawl is. I just took the specs from the MB site and converted from km/h and translated to miles. The top speed in crawl is 1 mph, intermediate 9 mph and basic (normal) is 55 mph.
I didn't see a gear ratio specified for this model.

There are a number of other models and I noticed that one has 6.53 gears.

Since this isn't really a Ford thread, maybe it should be moved to 'Everything under the Sun'.

There's a poll on the AJC's website stating:
"Should this vehicle be allowed on the road?"

YES: 42% (1,514)
NO: 55% (1,985)
Need more info: 3% (108)

TOTAL VOTES: 3,607
Well, if it should be banned, then we should ban every other commercial vehicle on the road. Some people are morons.

Peter, I put this thread in "Ford Industry News" because this pertains to the Automotive Industry, which Ford is a part of. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :D

Hmm...maybe I could put those 6.53 gears in my truck? LOL

February 21, 2000
Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Frankfurt, Germany (AP)-- It's the mother of all SUVs: 9 feet 7 inches tall, 20 feet long, 7 feet wide and a stunning 12,500 pounds.

"If you want the ultimate in versatile vehicles, this is it," DaimlerChrysler spokesman Othmar Stein said today in announcing the so-called Unimog, a truck currently made by Mercedes in Germany. "This thing makes the Hummer look anemic."

I'd like to know where the statement of this being an SUV came from. The quote by the Mercedes spokesman following the lead-in certainly doesn't make any reference that they're considering it an SUV.

There is nothing sporty about this vehicle. It's a work truck. Daimler-Chrysler is planning on selling it through Freightliner, the heavy truck division.

How many people that are in the market for a recreational offroad vehicle are gonna stop at the Freightliner truck dealership?

Matt, is the poll referring to the Unimog or the MaxiMog?

Originally posted by Peter Weber
Matt, is the poll referring to the Unimog or the MaxiMog?
I would assume the Unimog. I saw a blurb about this on the local (Montgomery, AL) news...I can't believe everyone's getting bent out of shape over a commercial truck. If we ban this from our roads, we might as well ban Mack trucks...

The press release and brochure has actually caused quite and uproar in the off road community as well I am sure in the environmentalist camp. There must have been quite a few unhappy people (including me) because Freightliner has since pulled the brochure and sent out another press release to clarify the target market for the Unimog. That's a good thing. It is the manufacturer's irresponsible advertising that gives off roaders the majority of the bad rep. Thanks to everyone who complained no matter what the reason. The sooner manufacturers start acting responsibly the sooner we will be taken seriously as well.

http://www.freightliner.com/corp/press_release.asp?id=261

you are right, the uproar came from DC's initial marketing package and press release which showed the Unimog with enclosed cabs and leather seats on city streets and mall parking lots. the press packet gave pricing info including options for premium sound system, 6 disk cd changers etc but no mention of Unimog's utility truck roots. it was obvious they were trying to sell the Unimog as the ultimate SUV status symbol not work truck. 2 days after the initial press release went out, DC retracted and say their "intended" market was fire departements but that was said to cover their track.

Cheaper Mogs& Pinz

Well heres a guy in VA that has them for less than 10k, He imports the swiss models Michael was talking about. He has pinzgauers(sp)also. Interesting site.

http://www.real4x4.com/UNIMOG.shtml

Sorry if its getting off topic though some may want a look, cool if you like military looking stuff.

Originally posted by bzcat
you are right, the uproar came from DC's initial marketing package and press release which showed the Unimog with enclosed cabs and leather seats on city streets and mall parking lots. the press packet gave pricing info including options for premium sound system, 6 disk cd changers etc but no mention of Unimog's utility truck roots. it was obvious they were trying to sell the Unimog as the ultimate SUV status symbol not work truck. 2 days after the initial press release went out, DC retracted and say their "intended" market was fire departements but that was said to cover their track.

That and their whole we can make our own roads advertising ploy.

Yes!

More big trucks to kill people with! Mercedes-Benz claimed, and I believe it 100%, that the Unimog will not be heavily marketed to the public, with a sales figure of about 1000 units worldwide per year. Eitherway, yuck. Now Ford should make an Excavation....a seven ton SUV with six wheels and can hold 14 people and get 3mpg.

Chief, good thinking in keeping with the "Ex-" theme! They could always call the SVT Explorer the Explosion.

Chief

I don't think the world wide sales goal is 1,000 units. That's the sales goal for Freight Liner, which is the heavy truck division of Daimler in North America.

In the rest of the word, these (and other Daimler trucks) are sold via Daimler-Benz dealerships.

Back