• Register Today It's free!

Thinking about getting a 1st gen!

Jstcruz

Reaction score
City, State
Deltona, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex XLT & 84 Ranger
I have a 97 (ohv) XLT 2 wheel drive and I love it! Issue is I need a 4x4 so I can go out on the beach and not worry about getting stuck. I was thinking about getting an early 2nd gen 4x4 because I dont want the SOHC engine, or I thaught it would be fun to get a 1st gen but I would want to find one in good condition and low price. I do all my own work and have the customize bug on my 97. I have completely rebuilt an 88 Ranger and have an 84 Ranger now. Do you guys have any suggestions for me? I never had a 1st gen Ex but know quite a bit about the 2nd gens.

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Between your Rangers and you 97 4x2 explorer if your used to working on them I do not see why you would have any trouble with a 91 to 94 4x4 explorer at all. Just be ready to never be done with it as once you start there is no end believe me!

Mine is my DD right now but it’s slowly getting ready to change from a DD to toy DD soon. Just need to plan it out. Stay stock and just lift that or SAS and a spring over on the rear with a gear change for both plus other goodies. Hmm that means ……
MORE TOOLS!!!! Always a good thing!!!
O Honey we need to talk about that hobby I told you about! LOL
So as I said if you take the jump be ready as it’s a free fall but a happy one!

I know all about the never being done with them trust me!

Once I move on with my explorer to get a full size truck I plan to buy a 1st gen, or early 2nd gen for cheap to build as a trail truck/2nd vehicle.

Buy whatever you find a good deal on, that is what I plan to do. 1st gen, 2nd gen, 4 door or sport model or even a b2. All are good platforms to start modding a 4x4, and all can be found fairly cheap. I am kind of partial to the sport model due to the short wheel base (nice for maneuvering in the woods).

Once I move on with my explorer to get a full size truck I plan to buy a 1st gen, or early 2nd gen for cheap to build as a trail truck/2nd vehicle.

Buy whatever you find a good deal on, that is what I plan to do. 1st gen, 2nd gen, 4 door or sport model or even a b2. All are good platforms to start modding a 4x4, and all can be found fairly cheap. I am kind of partial to the sport model due to the short wheel base (nice for maneuvering in the woods).

I was thinking I should just get what comes up, or even get another 2nd gen because I have a bunch of parts laying around for it now. I would want a 4 door because we have 3 kids, and I mainly want this for trips to the beach. What I plan to do is lift it just a little (like 3 or 4 inches) and just tinker with it. Fix up the back with 2 rear facing seats and maybe a 2nd head unit and 2 speakers in the back so we can tailgate with it. It wouldnt be driven every day but It wont be considered a weekend warrior either.

I geuss I just have alot of thaughts about it and want to talk about it lol. I just really think it would be fun to have a 1st gen because I like old trucks and I wouldnt be as inclined to dump money into mods on it - although I probably will haha.

I appreciate the input guys, keep it comin!!

I personally love the first gens much more than any other gen due to the fact i think they have more room in them cargo wise I have owned the 91 92 and 93 bought them all cheap on craigslist but in my area they go decently priced for 20 yr old SUVs even with mods already done to them

I personally love the first gens much more than any other gen due to the fact i think they have more room in them cargo wise I have owned the 91 92 and 93 bought them all cheap on craigslist but in my area they go decently priced for 20 yr old SUVs even with mods already done to them

I thaught the interior in the 1st and 2nd gen was about the same space wise. I know the 4th gens (my parents have one) seems like a compact SUV. Are they more roomy or does it just seem like it?

I think they are or atleast I can fit more stuff in mine than my mom can in her 96

I think they are or atleast I can fit more stuff in mine than my mom can in her 96

Wow, thats cool. Thanks for that info!

I have a 92, bought brand new, never really liked how the auto tranie and 4L wouldnt creep down fire roads...still its been a good truck all these years. Has towing package 3.73s Kind of want a Montero now cause they are more 4x4 off road vehicles.
Convenice me to stay with the x,

I'd stay 2nd gen. Why switch what you know? The front suspension, & electronics are a bit different then the 1st gens. So you will need a learning curve. Aftermarket parts are getting hard to find for 1st gens. I think you have way more options with the 2nd gens since they went all the way up to 2001.

Go for it. I love how simple it is. Depending on what condition you get/price you pay you might have a lot of small things to work out. I love mine!

I'd stay 2nd gen. Why switch what you know? The front suspension, & electronics are a bit different then the 1st gens. So you will need a learning curve. Aftermarket parts are getting hard to find for 1st gens. I think you have way more options with the 2nd gens since they went all the way up to 2001.

As far as switching what I know about, I have worked on several vehicles and be tween me and my father in law we can figure out just about anything on these older cars. As far as aftermarket parts, I'm really not interested in upgrading too much. I just want a driver that I can do my own thing with :)

Go for it. I love how simple it is. Depending on what condition you get/price you pay you might have a lot of small things to work out. I love mine!

If I find one for a good deal I'm not going to pass it up. I dont know what Im worried about lol. I plan on having to fix things even if I find one in good shape

As far as aftermarket parts, I'm really not interested in upgrading too much.
I'm saying parts whatever they are far more available then 1st gens. Don't know what you have planned but things like bumpers, rocker panels, fenders, lifts, etc.
Research the parts you may need to do what you want.

I'm saying parts whatever they are far more available then 1st gens. Don't know what you have planned but things like bumpers, rocker panels, fenders, lifts, etc.
Research the parts you may need to do what you want.

oh I gotcha. Good idea. I know how hard it is to find parts for my 84 Ranger. Fortunatly in FL the rust dont bother ya so much. But accidents and mishaps are another story

You can find anything on the internet all you have to do is look long enough and hard enough. My little brother basically boght all new parts for his 82 olds cutlass and there is less stuff out there as far as parts go for that than a 1st gen explorer.

Dude, get a first gen! You'll love them! I'm partial to a 93' but would be willing to buy any year. I put a James Duff 2.3" lift and have loved it to death! I am litterally blown away by what it is capable of with only that much lift (and the engine is still roaring with 221,000 miles on it!).

If that doesn't convince you, check out all the resources this site has for the first gens. I've never seen so much info readily available for any project on any other vehicle! It would be hard to come up with a problem or project that hasn't already been tired, documented, posted, and proven on the first gen forums. Not to mention how helpful everyone is over there, always giving advice and working through projects with you as though they are there!

-My 2 cents.

I'm pretty happy with my 94. 158,000 miles and still going strong!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back