• Register Today It's free!

Thoughts about the new Explorer

AK47

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Well, they have been out for a little while now, but I just got some info about them in the mail. Im speaking about the new design of the Explorer. I myslef hate it. They made it more car like and in general- just crappy. I wonder if Im the only explorer owner who feels this way.

just curious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Too box like in front- I hate it as well. Fords designers need to go back to the drawing board on that one.

my .03

New Ford Station Wagon

I was given a 2002 to drive while mine was in the shop again. It drives like a crown vic. Smooth, but not what I'm looking for. Its evident that GM hired all the creative engineers, I don't think I'll buy a ford again. 3yrs old, in the shop 12 times. 5 or 6 recalls, I forget, plus the whole tire fiasco. Also a weak minded, misdirected, CEO who knows nothing about customer service.

I like it but I like the new Mountaineer more!

--mark

i was dissapointed. it seems to be an expensive Windstar. the interior styling is just as bad as the exterior. i like the Trailblazer and Grand Cherokee much better,

Sounds like most dont really like the new look. Good! Its just crappy. oh, and who the hell is going to use that 3rd row of seating? jeez. They made it heavier, uglier, and more expensive. hmmm- sounds quite crappy. Ill keep my 98 thank you very much.

an expensive windstar! great one. thats exactly it.

at least ford is beefing up its hp #'s. they still gotta catch chevy's trailblazer with 270

the hp of the explorer cant compare to the trailblazer. that's a 6 cyl. engine in the trailblazer that puts out 270hp. what does the explorer V-8 put out, something like 230...

cool this is my 2000th post
Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

I drove a 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the V8 today. I wouldn't be doing that if Ford didn't invited me and giving me $50 Webcertificate just to test drive the Explorer. It's ride was very good because I'm into comfortable ride but the V8 didn't have good pick-up at all. I guess it having only a 3.55 rear axle didn't help much...since mine is 4.10 LSD. But once on the highway, that's where the engine shines!

The driver's seat was not comfortable at all. I like mine a whole lot better. I actually felt cramped driving it. The message center was hard to read and it took me a while to find where the exterior temperature gauge is...it's in the auto a/c unit. I'd rather have the overhead console with the compass and the temp gauge together. But hey...it's very very quiet!!! It's a HUGE difference comparing to my truck. There was no tire noise at all!!!!!!! All I hear on mine is wooo woo woo woo woo woo on the highway. it's the most annoying sound ever!!!

Overall...I would not buy it. I'd rather buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. The JGC has plenty of power nomatterwhat and it drives very well despite it having front and rear axles. I haven't test driven the GMC Envoy or the TrailBlazer yet but I've heard a lot of great things about them. Ok...I'm done ranting. :p

Back