Throttle position sensor replacement on my 1994 Aerostar. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Throttle position sensor replacement on my 1994 Aerostar.

backbeat

Reaction score
City, State
Strasburg Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Areostar
My check engine codes say the tps voltage is too high. I checked the tps and the signal voltage is 3 volts at idle up to about 4.3 at full thottle. What little I can find on other vidies and such iis the voltage should be .93 to 4.5 and you adjust it for .93 with the throttle close. None of this infor was shown on a pre ODB2 Arrostar. Mine is a 94 3.0. So I think the TPS is bad. Big question though is my Haynes manual says that a quallified repair shop should replace it because it takes special ecuipment to calibrate it. Does anyone have experiance In this.

Also thanks for welcoming me Rick.:aerostar::aerostar::aerostar:

Tps

Yea I replaced one on my windstar and there was not much to it so I guess I will just do it. Thanks. I just need to get a couple more years out of the old girl for my kids. But my windstar just died with 246,000 miles so I need to get it up to speed for work untill I can find an other van. My 94 Areostar has 209,000 hard miles on it but the 3.0 is bullet proof.:aerostar:

I just looked at the Service Manual for my 1997 and there is no mention of any "calibration" other than positioning the TPS correctly per the following instructions:

TP Sensor Removal:

1.Disconnect battery ground cable
2.Disconnect the fuel charge wiring connector at the throttle position sensor
3.Remove two throttle position sensor retaining screws.
4.Remove throttle position sensor.

Installation
1.CAUTION: Slide rotary tangs into position over throttle shaft blade, then rotate throttle position sensor clockwise to installed position only. Failure to install the throttle position sensor in this manner may result in excessive idle speeds.
Install throttle position sensor. Make sure that rotary tangs on sensor are in proper alignment and that the red seal is inside the connector housing.
2.Note: This throttle position sensor is non-adjustable.
Secure sensor to throttle body with two retaining screws. Tighten to 3-4 N-m (27-35 lb-in).
3.Install electrical connector to sensor.
4.Note: When battery voltage is removed from the powertrain control module (PCM) all learned values will be cleared and reset to predetermined values. When battery voltage is restored to the PCM, the vehicle may exhibit certain driveability concerns. It will be necessary to drive the vehicle to allow the PCM to relearn values for optimum driveability and performance.
Connect battery ground cable.

Back