• Register Today It's free!

thud noise when breaking

SOUTHERNSNAKE

Reaction score
City, State
Mohnton pa , right next to maple grove raceway
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer sport
ill try to explain this as best as i can .
98 ex sport , v6 4wd , just turned 30k miles .

when i come to a stop ( mostly a slow gradual stop) within a second after i completely stop , i hear a low thud and the vehicle shakes . then when i pull out ( im going to say about a half wheel turn) it does the same thing .

it will only do it when ive been driving a while.

it sounds like its comming from the rear of the vehicle.
nothing has been pulled yet , im trying to get an idea b4 i tear into it .
at first i thought it may be force from the drive train or a bit of play in the u joints or in the rear, but doesnt make sence to do it only when its been driven for about 10 minutes.
im thinking possibly something with the rear brakes , when they heat up , either my pads or calipers are expanding and has some slop , or maybe a bolt(s) lose ?

any suggestions ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When was the last time your slip yoke was greased?

u know if u said when was the last time u greased ur slip yoke to someone that didnt wheel..i think they might be offended lol

maybe check your brake fluid...it maybe low

i can honestly say nothing probably has been greased from the time it was built,
im popping the hood today to check the fluids , and pulling the rear wheels and checking pads , bolts etc.

i just bought it last week . it was my grand mothers and from the time it was bought , it basically was just sitting with minimal usage . id say the most it ever moved was to return it for recalls

Back