ticking/clicking noise on passenger side | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ticking/clicking noise on passenger side

silky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 sport
it's a 98 sport sohc.

After changing the driver side hub assembly and swapping the ABS sensor in the passenger side hub I have developed a ticking/clicking noise from the passenger side. The noise kind of sound like ticking you sometimes hear from bicycles. You begin to hear it around 10 mph and it gets louder and faster as you speed up and quieter and slower as you slow down. The noise seems to go away or quiet when you turn right and turns into a groaning noise when you turn left.

Does this seem like it would be the passenger side hub/bearing?

side note: when i removed the old ABS sensor from the passenger side hub it broke. The plastic housing stuck to the hole and I had to pry it out. Could the noise be broken pieces of ABS sensor that fell into the gearing?

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it's a 98 sport sohc.

After changing the driver side hub assembly and swapping the ABS sensor in the passenger side hub I have developed a ticking/clicking noise from the passenger side. The noise kind of sound like ticking you sometimes hear from bicycles. You begin to hear it around 10 mph and it gets louder and faster as you speed up and quieter and slower as you slow down. The noise seems to go away or quiet when you turn right and turns into a groaning noise when you turn left.

Does this seem like it would be the passenger side hub/bearing?

side note: when i removed the old ABS sensor from the passenger side hub it broke. The plastic housing stuck to the hole and I had to pry it out. Could the noise be broken pieces of ABS sensor that fell into the gearing?

thanks!

4000 lb truck a piece of plastic, i highly doubt it would live long enough to make noise.

it sounds like the bearing, easiest way is jack the car up and shake the wheel left/right and up and down and see if it moves and what is moving if the whole hub is then yes its the bearing.

everything is tight on the wheel right?

calipers/wheels/caliperbrackets.

When I heard the rattle I decided to check the brakes. I diassembled the brakes on both sides and tightened the caliper bracket bolts and caliper bolts to the proper torque and lubed the slide pins. I am going to grab a new hub simply because the one on it looks super rusted and old and the ABS sensor is gone.

My friend told me that it sounds like it is coming from the rear passenger tire. Here is what I noticed: When driving straight it ticks progressively faster with speed. The noise is steady for the most part but every once in a while it skips. When I turn right the noise seems to slow down but seems to get more powerful, not louder just more noticeable. When you turn left the noise goes away but if you turn far enough there is a rubbing slight grinding noise.

thanks again!

I grabbed the passenger rear tire and push/pulled it and it seems to have a bit of play. It feels like it slides in and out a bit and makes a bit of a clunking noise.

well it seems I am quite dumb. I forgot that when I did the brakes last year I had problems with the parking brake system and eliminated it. The cable is still there though, and if the parking brake lever is not pushed on there is a clanking noise. Went out, looked, sure enough someone had disengaged the parking brake.

Back