Tie Rod Ends

russianlinux

Reaction score
City, State
Gulfport, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 FORD EXPLORER
I have a 2001 Explorer V8 AWD, 180k.

There is some play in the steering wheel, but I can't tell if it's from the outer or inner tie rods. I know it's the driver side. I had my wife shake the steering wheel while I held the outer tie rod and I felt the vibration in it. I had it on jack stands earlier while changing the plugs and when I tried to shake the wheel I didn't notice any movement. I don't really hear any noises while turning, but like I said there is some play in the steering wheel and whenever I hit bumps the steering wheel really shakes a lot more.

Anybody have any idea how to tell for sure? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Save yourself some frustration, change the inners and the outers. At 180K miles it wouldn't be a waste of time, and you won't do one and then need to to the other in a few months.

Check your ball joints, they may also be due.

I can change the ball joints too later, but, like many, I don't have much money so I can't really do them now. I plan on doing the alignment myself afterwards o_O... in any case,it's not making any funny noises, there's just shaking in the steering wheel.

I'm considering that package. I know my ball joints need replaced, as I'm getting a slight /--\ condition.

I'm hoping it's an easier job than my F-250...it looks to be, anyway.

I'll be doing it before winter sets in...

You're gonna want to have the toe-in set properly unless you're actually damned good at it. Do both sides, schedule it for a Saturday morning when your closest shop is doing alignment specials, no prob. I changed one inner end, and the other one was a few thousand miles away from failure. But on the second one, I got it close enough to be driveable. Still had it aligned though.

Back