Tie Rod Selection | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tie Rod Selection

X6StringerX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
As some of you have read in the Whoops section, my Explorer recently took a plunge through the underground workings of an abandoned service station. (see thread here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270147) The only casualties were the front driver side tire, the inner tie rod end, and the alignment.

To make a long story short, I decided to go up a couple of sizes and bought new tires. I wanted to get an alignment as soon as possible so I took the Explorer to the alignment shop this morning and that's when I was informed of the inner tie rod end damage. After searching a bit here on the forum, I've seen a lot of people recommending Moog for outers, but haven't read much about inners. I'm going to go ahead and replace both the inner and outer while I'm in there. It will be a good time to upgrade to a serviceable outer. Luckily for me, the passenger side was done before I bought the Explorer.

So, in conclusion:

1 - Is there a preferred brand for inner tie rod ends?

2 - Is there anything inherently wrong with serviceable outer tie rod ends that are manufactured by companies other than Moog?

I hate to bump the thread in just over a day, but I need to place my order pretty soon and would greatly appreciate some elightenment on the subject.

Sorry, can't help, except to say that I purchased Moog inners and outers and I plan to install them soon. Seemed like a safe bet given the reputation of the brand on this site over a long period of time.

BK

Back