• Register Today It's free!

Time to replace my tires

Sniperfox

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington NC area
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Sport Trac XLT V8 4X4
Time to replace the original tires on my 2008 ST XLT V8 4X4. It has the Goodyear Forteras on it. They were good tires for what I used it for. No off roading or rough terrain use for my daily driver. should I buy more Goodyears or something else that will ride better and get more mileage? What's available?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same tires on my '08. I have 38,000 miles on them.
I am thinking Remington Wide Brutes on the next swap out.

If you are looking to get more milage out of your tires.....I would not go with the Goodyears. Don't get me wrong.....Goodyears are great tires, but they made with a softer compound. I had Michelin on my '05 sport track, and when I traded it in on my '07 they had 74K miles on them; no they did not look brand new, but they still had sufficiant tread left on them. Good luck with your choice......there are plenty to choose from.

I miss my Forteras. :( Great tires.

Love my Fortera Triple Treads too, but the one shortcoming most of the reviews have of them is treadlife. Not sure whether to replace them with another set or to get the Truxx lift and some bigger Nitto Terra Grapplers. I like the looks of the bigger tires on the Sport Tracs I've seen on this forum, but with gas prices already at $3.92/gal in CT and rising, I'm not sure I want to lose any mpg right now.

I replaced my Goodyears with Firestone Destination A/T's. Much better treadlife and much better in snow. If snow and off-roading is not a concern then I would consider Destination LE's, probably better treadlife than the A/T's. Also the Firestones are pretty reasonably priced.

I maintain the door jam recommended pressure on my tires of 35 psi by checking them cold every month and rotating them front to back every 7,500 miles. My original 245/65R17 Goodyear Forteras lasted 3 years and 56,500 miles which was pretty close to the warranted 6 years 60,000 miles. I replaced them with Michelin Latitude Tours which are almost as quiet and perform well in the rain. The Michelin's have a 6 year 65,000 miles warranty. As far as performance, I would rate the tires equally. I do not drive off-road and mostly drive a mix of city/suburban.

I dug up a link to a youtube video done by Tire Rack which should be widely viewed due to the important safety information about new vs used tire performance. I will never again look at tires with only a concern for the cost but instead for the amount of missing tread. Here is the link - please share it with anyone you know who buys tires:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA6MUlVNkLM

I am running Nitto Terra Grapplers. Awesome wet / dry / snow traction, quiet, and seem to be holding up very well. I have 20K miles and PLENTY of tread left to double that.

I also had great luck with Michelin LTX on my Ranger

I put Nitto Terra Grapplers on mine about 10,000 ago. I like them a lot. They are quiet for an AT. They perform well on and off road: mud, snow, rain, dry, rocks, steep hills. I have zero complaints about them.

Back