Timing chain breaking down - need advice | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain breaking down - need advice

Yeah that already happened I think when the cassette first broke. I had a valve head cover gasket replaced, then stopped driving it. There was oil evaporating our of that hole when the engine was running. 😬

Well, shi*. Ford exploder. I put too much into this truck already to stop now. I'll ask about the parts they're using.

Good luck
these are solid trucks but as they age they do need more attention. good maintianence from new is key for these, have seen many w good care go many miles, so it dpeends on care and luck of the draw.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change your oil more often next time :)
Sorry if I come off like a troll

Change your oil more often next time :)
Sorry if I come off like a troll
nope ya right 3k changes on this the primary lasted 310k the other non primary guides are still oe

I always do 3k or less

Ford did update their SOHC timing sets, as mentioned. I swapped in a long block out of a 2010 Ranger and the engine has been solid at 165k now. My last one started the rattle at 110-120ish.

Cloyes is worse than the original. Many on here have reported severe timing chain noise just from using Cloyes hydraulic tensioners. One had a full Cloyes timing set grenade on him at 300mi. Not 300,000….300. Chain parted. Game over.

Swapping out the Cloyes tensioners for Ford silenced the engine in every case I’m aware of.

Doing this job just to install inferior parts is penny wise, pound foolish.

Honestly, cut your losses. Trade it in. I have a '01 5.0 V8, I've done the timing set, it's in the front of the engine, accessible and only has three components; the 4.0L is a disaster of an engine. If you can find a good '00-'01 Jeep XJ with the 4.0L inline 6 cylinder, the engine is damn near bullet proof, and you can do almost all the work yourself. 0ver 220K miles on my XJ, it keeps on going. The Exploder has been on the blink for 6 mo.

I have an 04 4.0L with 160,000 miles on it. I purchased it 6 months ago for $4250 and have since put in ~$6000 in repairs (mostly suspension work).
Now I find out that one of the rear riming cassette guides has partially broken - engine still runs but the guides are breaking down. The broken part likely fell into the oil pan.
I imagine I will be quoted between $3k-$6k to have this repaired and I have $18k in the bank but don't make much money.
What would you do in my situation? Just have the timing chain(s) done? Replace the entire engine? Just looking for some perspectives. Thanks
This will be my 2 cents worth of almost useless information based upon almost 55 years of working on cars and such.

The 4.0L V-6 has a bad reputation for timing chain and guide issues since it was born. However, I was told by many mechanics at dealers and independent shops that this problem child was given a solid upgrade when it was to be introduced into the venerable Mustang in 2006. The story is that Ford did not want to stain the legendary name of the Rustang if this motor was to be offered so they fixed most of the issues in preparation for that to happen. Now, if that is not the case then someone please correct me. Regardless, it would have been a good business decision or, a really good story to tell in after work beer blasts. LOL

From what I have casually read and heard, it is easier to just replace the old short block with a new one that was produced after 2006. My 1998 EX has a 2007 Muskrat motor with over 180K on it and it is as tight as the day it was installed. I agree with that just from the labor part alone. The infamous intake manifold gaskets are still an annoyance but, the lower half is now quite strong and reliable. IF I had to do this job I would be prowling a few bone yards looking for a more recent motor with the belief that it would last a long time.

The only thing I have to support my claim is that a dealership which sold and serviced my EX told me that is what was done to mine before I bought it. An owner before the one from which I purchased my EX bought it from a dealer in FLA. They took the extended warranty and the engine had timing chain failures. When it was removed, the service manager determined that it would be more cost effective to install a new in the crate 4.0L V-6 that had been intended for a 2008 Mustang. The Mustang was totaled a few days before it was to come in and the motor was in the way. Therefore, they shoved it into my EX and it eventually managed to find its way to New Hampshire where it blew up its tranny which allowed me to acquire it for chump change. I have a newly rebuilt R55 tans sitting in the garage ready to go so it's a perfect situation.

In short, see about finding a lower mileage post 2006 motor. Have a mechanic give it a good going over and then install it. Your EX will then serve you well for a long time. Also, personally, I would steer clear of any Ford dealership for now. They are not doing well and are desperate for every single penny they can rip from a customer's wallet. It's the economy which has done this to them. If I could not do the work myself, I would be looking for a good repair shop with a good word of mouth reputation. Ask around town and there is bound to be one shop that gets more praise than the rest. That is the shop that you want.

FWIW

Steve Forbes
New Hampshire

interesting! afaik the only chain upgrades were done to all in 02 and from there only the oil soray bars changed internally. but could be wrong! intersted to see!

Just got the exploder back. $5.4k to replace both timing chains. Seems to be running the well, the engine sounds noticeably better and starts faster than before too.
Glad to have her back but I'll never look at her the same way again... my poor girl and her expensive tastes. 😰

Back