• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain guides SOHC 4.0

ibgary2

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I have a 99 Explorer, 4wd, with 165,000 miles on it. It quit while getting on the freeway. Inspection shows good fuel pressure and spark, but lack of any oil going to the passenger side head. I pulled the engine and found the timing chain guides for the right head to have broken in pieces, leaving only the aluminium shoe. The other head still has oil flow and all the pieces seem to be in place.

New guides seem to be in order, as well as pulling the pan to look for any stray parts of the broken up guides. My question is would the worn out guides on the passenger side account for a lack of oil flow to that head, or should I be looking for an obstruction in an oil passageway?

All the lifters on the bad side are down so far the followers are not touching the cam lobes. On the other side the lifters are still in good adjustment.

Is there anything else I should be looking at while its out? From what I read, the timing of all the chains can be a problem if you don't have all the tools of a Ford dealership, so I would like to avoid a total overhaul.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

A little update--
I pulled the front timing cover and found both guides on the jackshaft/crankshaft chain completely worn out and broken. The spring tensioner and its springs were missing, and worse yet the fixed guide for this chain had a chunk broken out. That chunk seals the front side of the oil galley, by the oil pressure guage. When this part broke the oil pressure had to drop to zero! If Ford had put a 25 cent plug in this hole, instead of a plastic guide, it would have gone a long way to make the engine last longer.

I can't wait to see what the rods and mains look like!
Gary A

Back