Timing chain noise from 4.0 — How much time left? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain noise from 4.0 — How much time left?

1996ex

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.0 XLT 4WD
The timing chain on my 2003 4.0 170k miles sounds like it’s making the marble sound sometimes, but it comes and goes.

My question is, how much time before something breaks? I’m wondering how urgent it is or if I have a few months.

How long have other people driven it hearing that noise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The timing chain on my 2003 4.0 170k miles sounds like it’s making the marble sound sometimes, but it comes and goes.

My question is, how much time before something breaks? I’m wondering how urgent it is or if I have a few months.

How long have other people driven it hearing that noise?
Hard to say without hearing it if it is in fact the timing chains. A tell tale sign without pulling the covers, it will make a heavy rattle for 1-2 seconds upon cold start.
If it is the chains rattling, one or more of the guides has already likely broken.

That being said, it's really a guessing game. I drove at least 30-40k miles with multiple broken guides before fixing them, others have reported the same or longer. The real risk comes if the chain skips, your engine will be totaled, there is no way to tell when that will happen.

If you don't want to pull the covers, the next easiest way to confirm broken guides is to drop the oil pan, there will likely be broken bits of plastic in it.
Good luck

Hard to say without hearing it if it is in fact the timing chains. A tell tale sign without pulling the covers, it will make a heavy rattle for 1-2 seconds upon cold start.
If it is the chains rattling, one or more of the guides has already likely broken.

That being said, it's really a guessing game. I drove at least 30-40k miles with multiple broken guides before fixing them, others have reported the same or longer. The real risk comes if the chain skips, your engine will be totaled, there is no way to tell when that will happen.

If you don't want to pull the covers, the next easiest way to confirm broken guides is to drop the oil pan, there will likely be broken bits of plastic in it.
Good luck
Thank you, just the answer I was looking for!

Curious what made you fix your guides after 30-40k of noise? Did you pull the engine yourself?

Thanks again!

Thank you, just the answer I was looking for!

Curious what made you fix your guides after 30-40k of noise? Did you pull the engine yourself?

Thanks again!
It got to the point where I thought it was either time to fix the problem, or let it grenade and get a new vehicle.
My 02' is my first and only vehicle of almost 12 years now and I didn't want to get rid of it quite yet, did the work myself along with a rear diff rebuild and everything is driving like new.
Have done plenty of mechanic work but nothing so involved, bit of a challenge but well worth it.
:chug:

It got to the point where I thought it was either time to fix the problem, or let it grenade and get a new vehicle.
My 02' is my first and only vehicle of almost 12 years now and I didn't want to get rid of it quite yet, did the work myself along with a rear diff rebuild and everything is driving like new.
Have done plenty of mechanic work but nothing so involved, bit of a challenge but well worth it.
:chug:
Just the man I need to speak to! How difficult was replacing the tensioners and pulling the engine?

Also, my rear diff has a little how at 60-70 that goes away at 80-90. How difficult was that, too?

Just the man I need to speak to! How difficult was replacing the tensioners and pulling the engine?

Also, my rear diff has a little how at 60-70 that goes away at 80-90. How difficult was that, too?
I'm sure there are much better people to talk to on here if you decide doing the work yourself haha.
It was fairly difficult but pretty straight forward granted you have the correct tools, I mostly followed threads on here and specifically the video series by FordTechMakuloco for timing the 4.0 SOHC, if you follow that to a T you should have no problems.

I actually bought a rebuilt rear diff as I was short on time, it was just a drop and replace, not easy work on your back but doable.
If you have any specific questions let me know!

I'm sure there are much better people to talk to on here if you decide doing the work yourself haha.
It was fairly difficult but pretty straight forward granted you have the correct tools, I mostly followed threads on here and specifically the video series by FordTechMakuloco for timing the 4.0 SOHC, if you follow that to a T you should have no problems.

I actually bought a rebuilt rear diff as I was short on time, it was just a drop and replace, not easy work on your back but doable.
If you have any specific questions let me know!
Well allow me to just ask about the correct tools. I'm assuming an engine picker, but I don't know what else!

Well allow me to just ask about the correct tools. I'm assuming an engine picker, but I don't know what else!
Not too many specialized tools required. OTC 6488 timing tools make the job a lot easier. Dampener removal tool, external torx/T55, rocker arm removal tool are some more specific things I can think of.
A wide variety of sockets and extensions are useful, along with an impact wrench.

- I'd start here and watch through to make sure it's something you're comfortable with, as well as searching through the threads. There are a lot written by people much more knowledgable than myself.

Post a vid of what you are hearing that would vary helpful just sayen

Post a vid of what you are hearing that would vary helpful just sayen
Good point. It's actually at the shop right now, but it seems to be making exhaust manifold noises, too. I don't care about that because I was just thinking of using it for the next few months until the ridiculous used car prices calm down!

Good point. It's actually at the shop right now, but it seems to be making exhaust manifold noises, too. I don't care about that because I was just thinking of using it for the next few months until the ridiculous used car prices calm down!
I am getting my engine replaced right now too (too cheap to be true but I'll see), if the engine will not run perfectly I'll drive my explorer for a while to and I'll wait for the used car prices to drop too (in florida 06 explorer with 150k miles sold for $5k plus). I'll let you guys know if i got a good engine in a year because of it's good i think everyone should get a great rebuild engine for cheap (he did replace timing chains, guides, tensioners, head gasket and oil pump).

Back