Timing chain noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain noise

Mpboyer3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
I have an 03 explorer 4.0 SOHC and I just replaced the front and rear guides and timed it properly, the front guide is making a almost diesel like slapping noise. I thought it was the tensioner so I changed it, the new tensioner came with the set screw and oil restrictor, so I changed it too. My question is where does the oil for the tensioner come from, I know it comes from below the restrictor but is the orifice angled, does it come straight up, can I see if it is plugged in any way?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got home from my son's game tonight(haven't been driving the truck) and took out the set screw and the restrictor behind the forward tensioner and blew air through the hole and I could hear it flowing. Could I have timed the engine slightly off or could I have gotten a bad tensioner?

If you used anything but OEM or Cloyes there is a realy good chance you got a bad tensioner.

How will I know if it is bad?

Also, is the tension mainly held by the internal spring? How much does the oil pressure actually keep tension?

I have a second gen sport trac so it was a bit easier for me with the single piece intake. I pulled the intake and valve covers, and had a look. I could easily press the tensioners in with a screw driver. I wanted to check the cassettes while I was in there. When I pulled out the bad tensioners they had no spring tension, and they were catchy when you pressed them in by hand. Like they weren't aligned right. The replacements were smooth, and had much more tension in the springs. A set of cloyes on rock auto will run you around 100 bucks shipped.

Back