• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain rattle?

jumpervb

Reaction score
City, State
roanoke,va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT & 2011 XLT
Have a 2011 X and I have heard it rattle on startup at least 3 times just like they older X's did because of timing chain issues.
Is this a problem in them? What do I need to do about it? Is there a TSB on this?
It doesn't do it every time so I feel like I'll hear the old "we couldn't replicate it so we can't fix it" excuse.
Any suggestions on a course of action?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never ever heard a timing chain rattle, i think if it was that loose it will jump out of the gear teeth.

This is normal for engines that have a cam chain tensioner that uses oil pressure to work. Due to low oil pressure during initial start-up the cam chain will have some slack that will be tightened up as operating oil pressure is reached.

No problem with mine. My 2011 is nice and quiet. Just the way I like it.:thumbsup:

Peter

Have a 2011 X and I have heard it rattle on startup at least 3 times just like they older X's did because of timing chain issues...

Hi jumpervb,

I recommend getting your Explorer in to the dealership so they can document and inspect your vehicle. They'll be in the best position to diagnose. Reach out to me if you need any assistance; I'm always happy to help!

Crystal

Hi jumpervb,

I recommend getting your Explorer in to the dealership so they can document and inspect your vehicle. They'll be in the best position to diagnose. Reach out to me if you need any assistance; I'm always happy to help!

Crystal

Thanks Crystal, I will do that.
Surprised I'm the only one to have this noise though.
Will get it documented and inspected.

Thanks Crystal, I will do that.
Surprised I'm the only one to have this noise though.
Will get it documented and inspected.

Sounds good, jumpervb. Let us know what you hear from the dealership.

Crystal

What sort of oil filter are you using? Switch toa motorcraft filter and see if that helps. We ad an issuewith a car on time (Contour maybe?) that the filter would allow oil to drain ack into the anwhen not running if we used a cheap oil cange pace filter, but not on a goid one.

What sort of oil filter are you using? Switch toa motorcraft filter and see if that helps. We ad an issuewith a car on time (Contour maybe?) that the filter would allow oil to drain ack into the anwhen not running if we used a cheap oil cange pace filter, but not on a goid one.

Our dealer is the one doing the oil changes so I assume it's a Motorcraft.

Back