• Register Today It's free!

Tire recommendation

emolina

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT SOHC
I do 98% city/highway driving. 1997 XLT on 235/75 r15. Looking for inexpensive, safe, good handling tire for Los Angeles streets and freeways (that means full of potholes). Any ideas appreciated. I can buy at Costco. BTW, I'm an old member.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Copper tire makes a brand called StarPower. They're inexpensive, but are good quality, ride and wear. I think we got about 40k+ out of the last set. We've had 3-4 sets of these on various Explorers and Mountaineers over the years. No complaints whatsoever. Last set I purchased I think I paid $85 per tire mounted and balanced. They're strictly a street tread, but that's where my trucks spend their time. Personally I like Michelin's on my trucks. I also currently have two trucks using Fusion tires. They're a beefy truck-like tire, but they look good on my ST.

If you're a Costco member, then wait for the $70 off Michelin coupon. If you're an Executive Member and you're signed up for emails, they periodically send out an extra $60 off tires coupon for online tire orders. IE, $130 off. IIRC I paid $400 or so for 4 Michein LTX tires installed at Costco using the coupon a couple of years ago.

You can try calling Costco customer service too and asking if the tire code is available. I didn't get the email but I read about the coupon on www.slickdeals.net, so I called customer service and they sent me a code anyway.

Any opinions on michelin Defender LTX M/S?

for detailed tire specs hit the tirerack.com site.
they have charts showing about 10 categories on most tires, actual sizes, recommended rim widths, dry & wet handling, etc. lots of good info there.

since you mentioned potholes I'll throw in my 2 cents worth of opinion. not sure if the General Grabber AT2 will qualify as inexpensive but they will do anything you're asking.
I've had a set for over 6 years now, swapped them between 2 different rangers several times. they handle good, last a long time, and are strong enough to deal with rough roads.

Any opinions on michelin Defender LTX M/S?

For your city/highway driving, those would be an excellent choice, but not an inexpensive one. I went from dismal Goodyear Wrangler RT/S to Micheliin LTX M/S. My ride improved A LOT. I only got rid of them due to age and typical cracking in the tread area. Still had tons of tread left.

For your city/highway driving, those would be an excellent choice, but not an inexpensive one. I went from dismal Goodyear Wrangler RT/S to Micheliin LTX M/S. My ride improved A LOT. I only got rid of them due to age and typical cracking in the tread area. Still had tons of tread left.
Currently running on Michelin Latitute Tour. They were great but are 5 years old and showing cracks between the tread. Only 21,000 miles. Lots of tread left.

Thanks all. I called Michelin customer service. I'll get a $55 credit to replace each tire. The person at America's Tire said that my tires were still safe to drive. He said that if you can stick a business card into the crack then it's got to be replaced. ??? Ozone cracking. Think I'll just replace them to be on the safe side.

Thanks all. I called Michelin customer service. I'll get a $55 credit to replace each tire. The person at America's Tire said that my tires were still safe to drive. He said that if you can stick a business card into the crack then it's got to be replaced. ??? Ozone cracking. Think I'll just replace them to be on the safe side.

$55 credit for each tire? That's all right in my opinion.

You would think a (non-summer compound) tire would not crack out in 5 years. But I don't know what it's like to have ozone cause cracking. Is that a common problem in LA?

$55 credit for each tire? That's all right in my opinion.

You would think a (non-summer compound) tire would not crack out in 5 years. But I don't know what it's like to have ozone cause cracking. Is that a common problem in LA?
It's hot and the air is still polluted, though not as bad as 50 years ago. I read that tires that don't get enough miles tend to crack more because the anti-ozone chemicals in the tire compound don't get worked out. You are right. Can't complaint about that credit.

I wish I would have called when my LTX M/S were cracking for a $220 credit. I would have definitely bought another set :(

I went with NItto Grappler 2's.. they are super quiet and smooth! I also do city and freeway driving about 60miles a day. I wanted more beef light off road tires for longevity. It also looks really good. I went a bigger tire and 17" procomps.. best part is I didn't have to lift it. No rubbing etc. It was a perfect fit.
fgqEMxpb8QBQvFvX3e5TmG8NblsT-3P6182Buqw2bqeGGVSPZauYFPK4d-GysLP1hit-v2M5ZDsYj1jiuXP6m6cZMN9-nFCZyh6SXuEMPj0D_iB95DlDtnWiojvrPBOo2S1mgU8s3yKK3hTJ79-7G2YFGlw0Dq0wTrzK1O2RG7QEPuYPnr4i5AFdhfURLbQkzZoiPLtHxKd0h9icRJlVwCUAMrjSMLElqYFpuebR8GAW4iRP3MniFSNPq5SeTAVblZ3skld2OwkS6MEs2Uh9Uc0oFspIUQOKojzHHbYGg1GLgkQIdk7adZEpditOyY_WSKTVOfrJWIhaGNtMwyEbgtDRH6Wu1iu-vGAx8QrA2daXe6qh1nFn-cbapUwWTNsNs6kOqVSb_7fLRNazvhWuwl8r0xZ4MdOTXh30jLJBhaHD12XB9ecvMkiGVUMDepvlmw_brpw8I31g6FL-BZ4f468vHxVDYs8r0s9ld5i-9L757cSjUJ86cVudCb2Gn8h6vJFF7lYJJPneja4Xg3WHBibomDfARssEuGRjXJ8yl_1hIvxJtjHCpdJCjvWxRUdLHZWZbqDdmEhJ-q4pkVLMXhQ_NolY-2PkNzDSNfwzNngxuW4MqSQ-mCwZT-x6hr2cT3XeOi5jN_uZTNIG_zKV-lIQtM2V_RdlTamnSAyu0Uaa8PAE96Ku_7S7hpaf6hlADqAJ0JtvH0Q0bw=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft

Back