Tire replacement question

cmasey100

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hello!
Looking for some advice. I have a 2013 Explorer Limited. It currently has the Hankook Optimo H426 on it. To make a long story short I was in an accident the other day (everyone was ok). I got a call from the adjuster today stating that my passengers side front tire (where the impact happened) has a gouge in it and needs to be replaced. The insurance will pay for one new tire (another Hankook h426)….. Ive been doing some research and I keep seeing that I need to replace all 4 tires, that you cant just replace one as It will mess up the 4wd/awd system. I was hoping I could just balance out the front. By no means are the tires worn down (8/32’s all the way around)…. Do I need to replace all 4 or can I just replace the front two?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do I need to replace all 4 or can I just replace the front two?
Same brand/model tire with as little wear as you have isn't a problem. Replace the one.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/knowtire.jsp

JUST ONE TIRE? If your tires have a lot of remaining tread depth, but you need to replace just one that has been damaged by an accident, road hazard or a vandal, you should replace it with a tire that exactly matches the others. Select a replacement tire of the same brand, line, size and speed rating. While there may be a less expensive tire available, it wouldn't be a bargain this time because it would be different than the other three tires on your vehicle.

If your vehicle has AWD and there is more than more than a few thousand miles on it you will need to replace all four. This is because that as the tire wears the diameter decreases. If you were to replace just the one tire with a new one, it will be read by the ABS sensors as the tires rotating at different speeds and will cause your differentials to stay engaged increasing wear and heating and affect the ABS system because it will detect this as differential tire speed and it will think it is in a skid or the tire is slipping. I worked on Audi Quattros in the past and this is stated in the owners manual.

I think that’s the other part of the question. Does the “intelligent fwd” system work in the same manner as the AWD system in cars such as a Subaru, or an Audi as you mentioned. I looked through the manual and it does not mention/answer the question. I fully understand that if my Explorer was a Audi or Subaru then I would need to replace all four but its not…. Ive got so much conflicting info that its about to make my head explode!. Here is what I got so far:
- It will be fine just with the one new tire. The remaining 3 have enough tread left that it should not matter (I don’t know what the enough tread limit is)
- Replace both tires on the front so they match
- Replace both on the front but put the new tires on the back
- Replace all four.

Here is what I got so far: - It will be fine just with the one new tire. The remaining 3 have enough tread left that it should not matter (I don’t know what the enough tread limit is)

New = 10/32. 2/32 isn't going to matter. You need one replacement tire.

Why take our advice? Call or visit a few different dealerships and ask a technician. (read: not a salesperson.)

Tony

New = 10/32. 2/32 isn't going to matter. You need one replacement tire.

This is the way to go. at 8/32 you will never tell the difference. If they were at 4/32 I'd replace them all.

I suspect there are plenty of vehicles that have not had the tires rotated frequently enough and the difference in diameter is far more than what we are talking about here.

If they were at 4/32 I'd replace them all.

Correct. That is actually the Audi spec. 2/32 is 1/4 inch diameter. The electromechanical coupling mechanism used in this system and others isn't as sensitive as the old mechanical Haldex couplings.

Back