SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
I'm about due for tires at 37k on the 2019 Sport. Questions:

I don't like the look of the 255/50/20 on the rim. It looks too thin to me. I would use 265/50/20. I have that size down to the Ecopia 422 Plus, from Bridgestone, or the Michelin Defender LTX. I had a bad experience with Michelin with dry rotting, so giving them my $ hurts. I also have a close relationship with my Firestone/Bridgestone folks, so I'm moving that directions. Had a set of the 422's on another Explorer and they went 55k, which is fine with me. More than that? They were smooth and true in the rain. Not worried about snow as I run Blizzak's in the winter.

I have a 2020 rental that I noticed has 255/55/20 Michelin Primacy A/S on them. I admit that I like the ride - wow. Smooth and confident on the road. But, they don't seem to make them in 265/50/20. I would need to go to 265/55/20. I did some comparisons, online, and I think the variance is too much - against stock of 255/50/20. I really want that slight "bulge" on the rim of the 265.

Any thoughts on this topic? It's picky, I appreciate. Just looking for some input...

Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm about due for tires at 37k on the 2019 Sport. Questions:

I don't like the look of the 255/50/20 on the rim. It looks too thin to me. I would use 265/50/20. I have that size down to the Ecopia 422 Plus, from Bridgestone, or the Michelin Defender LTX. I had a bad experience with Michelin with dry rotting, so giving them my $ hurts. I also have a close relationship with my Firestone/Bridgestone folks, so I'm moving that directions. Had a set of the 422's on another Explorer and they went 55k, which is fine with me. More than that? They were smooth and true in the rain. Not worried about snow as I run Blizzak's in the winter.

I have a 2020 rental that I noticed has 255/55/20 Michelin Primacy A/S on them. I admit that I like the ride - wow. Smooth and confident on the road. But, they don't seem to make them in 265/50/20. I would need to go to 265/55/20. I did some comparisons, online, and I think the variance is too much - against stock of 255/50/20. I really want that slight "bulge" on the rim of the 265.

Any thoughts on this topic? It's picky, I appreciate. Just looking for some input...

Shumax

Anyone?

What size did you end up going with?
I ended up with Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra's. 265/50/20. They are quiet, smooth and good in the rain and light snow. They also have an 80,000 mile warranty. Very happy with the purchase!

I ended up with Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra's. 265/50/20. They are quiet, smooth and good in the rain and light snow. They also have an 80,000 mile warranty. Very happy with the purchase!
Thanks. I am curious about the size too. Mine came with 255/55/20. Was looking into possibly a larger size but there doesn't seem to be a lot of room in the rear to accommodate a larger tire.

Thanks. I am curious about the size too. Mine came with 255/55/20. Was looking into possibly a larger size but there doesn't seem to be a lot of room in the rear to accommodate a larger tire.
I have no issues with that size and I'm lowered on H&R springs, too.

Back