• Register Today It's free!

Tire size

Matthew A Curry

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 ford explorer sport
What size tire can I put on my 16 for explorer sport and do I need a spacer so they don't rub? The rims I am looking at are 24s 5x120. Thanks

Whatever tire size you go with, technically they so not exceed the maximum diameter variance by more than 3% of the OEM.
Have you checked out www.tirerack.com? They have some good info.

Peter

The factory lug pattern is 5x114.3. Those 5x120 rims will not bolt up unless your using special lug adaptors which I do not trust personally. You also have to look at the backspacing of the rims. Best example I can think of is the Mustangs. I am not sure of the measurements, but the 94-04 Mustangs have a different backspacing than the '05 & newer. If you put 94-04 wheels on a 05+ they will stick out. Likewise if you put 05+ wheels on a 94-04 they will be inverted to the fenders.

Below is a link to a great tool to play around with if your looking to figure out tire sizes when your looking to upgrade. I've used it for years. Just keep in mind for every rim size or width size you go up you need to go down one size on aspect ratio. Its not exact, but it keeps the speedometer readings close as possible to factory calibration. Width goes by 10's, aspect ratio goes by 5's.

For example, factory is 255/50/20, if you want to go up a width size it would be 265/45/20. If you go up a width and rim size you would go with 265/40/21. In the case of your 24's you would want 255/30/24.

Sorry, I missed the link. It blended in with the other post options with the same colour. The Tacoma one I linked is also a good site as is the one on 1010tires.com. I have seen the one you linked before but haven't used it.

Peter

Back