Tired of my vehicle being a conversation piece! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tired of my vehicle being a conversation piece!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Stephen
Okay, what should I do then?

Just copy me, I only did a very few minor modifications to my '92. ;)

Explorer Sales

Stephen said the tire problem won't hurt sales much ...

Last week, on the business report, they said sales were UP over 3%.

Remember, even bad publicity is better than no publicity!!

That's because Ford is offering 0.9% financing for 60 months, if you buy the Explorer. I was out looking at Rangers the other day and the salesman kept trying to sell me a Explorer.
Stephen, You definately need bigger tires and you need to take a picture of it so you can post it on your signature.
This is required of all moderators especially if they post over 1800 times.

At 1800 posts, don't forget to Herculiner all frame rails and brushguards per the requirements of the website. After reaching 2000 posts, all exposed areas ( :D ) including rocker panels and diffy covers must be coated.

well we all know what happened the last time that a certain someone herculined all "exposed" areas sorry just had to take the shot I didn't take the last time...hehe

Karol
explorereb96@ford-trucks.net

I had Firestones when I bought the truck. I rode on them till the threads were showing, with no blowouts or rollovers. Then I bought some Mickey Thompson Baja BElted Radials and I blew one of those out driving 110mph down the freeway. Go figure, eh? So, then I bought some 33x1250x15 Thornbirds, and I can't go over 85 now, so a blowout looks unlikely. About a week after I put those on, someone asked me about the firestone situation. I said, "Hey man, did you see those big@$$ tires on my truck? I guarantee Firestone doesn't make anything like a 33 inch thornbirds."

Originally posted by Mudd*****
So, then I bought some 33x1250x15 Thornbirds, and I can't go over 85 now

Why not? Is it a lack of power? I can and have gone over 100 mph with my Thornbirds of the same size. Not that I do it often but it will go that fast.

It pretty much maxes out there, so I assume it is my lack of power. Of course, I think that something is wrong somewhere, because I am only getting about 8 MPG. I was flying down the beltway at 85 for about an hour last week, and all I could see behind me was a cloud of white dust. It went away as I slowed down, and came back again at around 85MPH. I of course pulled over, but everything seemed to be in order, and I couldn't smell anything burning. I haven't had the problem since, but I haven't been driving that far at that speed since then either. Any advice?

The drop in MPG seemed to happen at the same time I put those tires on. But I got my AC fixed that same day, so I attribute it to both.

Hmm, I wonder what's hurting Fords sales then? When I last heard on Monday sales were down 7%...

According to the last issue of Trucking Times (an industry magazine for after market retailers) Ford Explorer sales are up over 13% from this time last year. And of the top 5 trucks/SUVs sold in America, Fords are #1 (F150), #3 (Explorer) and #5 (Ranger).

I just looked at the September/October issue of Trucking Times and here are the exact production numbers YTD August 2000:

Explorer
YTD 2000 316,904
YTD 1999 281,196
Sales up 12.7%

The next closest SUV in sales is Jeep Grand Cherokee at 197,855 down 5% from last year.

YTD 2000 top 5 truck and SUV sales:

1 Ford F-Series Pickup 569,408
2 Chevrolet Silverado 362,559
3 Ford Explorer 316,904
4 Dodge Ram Pickup 258,817
5 Ford Ranger 250,006

In case you were interested

I too,get those kind of questions or statements.I have been driving Ford Explorers since 1991, on 15" ATX's and 16" wilderness AT's, with no problems at all.In fact,I do a lot of off-road in col.,and n.m. and have put a lot of stress on both the vehicle and the tires, without a single problem other than your typical flat once in awhile.
And to all those people who are worried about suv's, stay in your sedan's, and stay on the pavement.And if you don't know how do drive a suv, get back in your sedan.

i know this is kinda off the subject

Mudd*****, how did you get your explorer up to 110mph?

I think that any kind of drop in suv sales could be linked to the incredible raise in gas prices rather then the firestone thing.

Its great living in slower lower Delaware. Well not really, but I dont get asked about the firestone tires because the red necks around here know what the differences between Good Year and Firestone tires are. I'd be upset if someone asked me if i was worried about tipping because I drive responsibly most of the time and dont even have Firestone tires. Some people...jeez.

The only person that asked me about the Firestone tires was a car sales guy at a subaru dealer and he was giving me a lot of stuff about the tires. Then i looked over and I was like what kind of tires do you think are on the cars U SELL!!!! I know they arent the recalled tires, but still. Phew ok i'm done now its just that it makes me upset when people bash on my truck. :)

-Chav

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back