• Register Today It's free!

Tires on 15 inch rims

4X4Bauer

Reaction score
City, State
Goffstown, New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer EB V6
Im looking at getting some 15 inch rims. I know that some will fit. What im wondering is what is the biggest tire i can fit on them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends on clearance you have on your truck. you can get a 33x13.5 in a 15" rim but you would need a lift.

Tim

Depends on clearance you have on your truck. you can get a 33x13.5 in a 15" rim but you would need a lift.

Tim

How big of a lift? I plan on doing a 1.5 inch BL and adding 1-1.5 inch hubcentric spacers.

I see that you can get 44x18.5x15 SuperSwampers. This seems like a pretty big 15" tire.

I actually just went and looked at some super swampers online, and found a set of M16's that are 33x10.5x15. This equates to about 267/87/15, and the 25.4 mm difference between 15 and 16 inch rims somewhat makes up for that. So they should fit, but my require some trimming and maybe wheel spacers.

Hey folks,

So I was wondering if you could help me out.
My understanding is that on our 3rd gens we cant run 15s because they will rub on the spindle and or the brake caliper.

Is there any truth to this?

FWIW: Biggest tire on a stock 15x8 rim with NO suspension mods that won't rub or interfere with anything is a 31x10.5Rx15. I'm looking to put on a set in a few weeks. Moving up from 235/75r/15's.

FWIW: Biggest tire on a stock 15x8 rim with NO suspension mods that won't rub or interfere with anything is a 31x10.5Rx15. I'm looking to put on a set in a few weeks. Moving up from 235/75r/15's.

You should definitely make a post about it! Really want to see an ex with 15 inch rims ;)

Hey folks,

So I was wondering if you could help me out.
My understanding is that on our 3rd gens we cant run 15s because they will rub on the spindle and or the brake caliper.

Is there any truth to this?

I'm not sure on 2002. I have an 03. For 03 it's the rear toe links the have clearance issues. 16" wheels leave maybe 1/4" clearance with stock toe links that do NOT have the grease fitting. I know 15" wheels are not an option for an 03, an 02 I can't comment on.

I'm not sure on 2002. I have an 03. For 03 it's the rear toe links the have clearance issues. 16" wheels leave maybe 1/4" clearance with stock toe links that do NOT have the grease fitting. I know 15" wheels are not an option for an 03, an 02 I can't comment on.

I was under the impression that certain 15 inch wheels could fit, but not all, mostly due to the brake calipers being too big. For anybody reading this, I highly recommend bringing your car to where you're buying the wheels and make sure they fit before you buy them.

Back