Tone Ring Question: OEM vs Dorman

Joey82

Reaction score
City, State
Bawlmur Hon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited 4.6L
Hi Guys,
I have a cracked tone ring on my rear driver's side. I watched FordTechMakuloco's in depth video and was thinking of tackling this myself, (without the special tool). I try to go OEM unless it's an upgrade, (looking at you radiator!), but I saw a review on the Dorman part vs the Motorcraft with someone saying "it seems thicker/beefier". Seeing how the OEM ones liked to crack, is Dorman the way to go with this? I'm also a little scared that without the special tool and the tolerance only being 1mm, I might mess up the installation if the Dorman is a bit bigger.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dorman parts are usually a piece of crap.use oem parts only

I would only use Dorman non critical parts that are simple to replace and the cost differential is very large as compared to OEM.

Thanks guys! The price difference in this case is minimal. At least, big picture. I'm definitely about OEM - especially for critical parts like this - but that one review about "beefier than stock" made me wonder if this was a case where someone improved upon OEM like the sway bar links, etc.

There way a redesign of the ring at some point because of the cracking issue. I also had to replace both of the rear tone rings and the new design was noticeably thicker. Still have an old ring, it measures about 0.280". Dorman lists theirs as 0.390". Since its only a reluctor ring and a non-wear item, use what you are comfortable with.

Back