Too much Steering Shaft Play or is it OK? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Too much Steering Shaft Play or is it OK?

IgotTwo

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg, N.J.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT - 97 XLT SOHC
I'm trying to get my 94 in order before I take it in for an aligment ....because I know it pulls and has pulled right for a while

I just put in radius bushing and fixed a popped snap ring on RF wheel....... so while the tools are out.....

I shook every front end part for looseness and\or play, re torqued the front wheel bearings, checked the brakes, spun the tires ....as I think I should. The steering box has also been adjusted. I have tried to keep up with it.

Everything seems tight but when I vertically shake the front wheels... it seems I have a lot of movement over the steering box..........the shaft from the "steering wheel" inside the engine compartment that goes into the steering box ...... I think it is called "a middle shaft"

I can't find anything specific.
Anyone know how to judge the play, what the fix is or don't worry about it?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To check play in the gearbox, you have to first start the explorer sice it is power steering, then shake the steering wheel from side to side alittle at a time, increasing the movement till you see the wheels move, this will give you a good idea on play, check for worn parts on the shaft first, if you are going to tighten the box, jack up front wheels off ground to take the pressure off the worm gear, do not over tighten, it can lead to steering box failure.

Thanks,
I 'm with you on the worm gear adjustment.

If not clear...... I did have the front end jacked up.

So I think you told me nicely:
..the putz that I am...I should have had the engine running to enable the PS to "pressure up" before I go passing judgement on loose things? hahaha
:D

Easy mistake, I wasn't sure if you were aware or not, just trying to help out.;)

You really did help!!!!!!!
Sometimes the dumbest thing trip me up!
Thanks

Back