Took the big dive - Ordered new All-Alpine system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Took the big dive - Ordered new All-Alpine system

'96Xploder

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Eddie Bauer
So, after much debating I finally ordered everything I'll need for my new stereo. I decided on all alpine equipment, because I've been happy with everything I've seen, and it just seemed the most logical. So here's the run-down.

Head Unit - IVA-D900 Retractable 7" display
CD Changer - Alpine CHA-S634 6 disc CD/MP3
Front Door Speakers - Alpine SPR-136A 5.25" Type-R Components
Rear Door Speakers - Didn't order, undecided
Amp - MRD-M501 500w x 1
Sub - Two 10" Alpine Type-R's SWR-1021D in a sealed box
A power inverter for an x-box, wiring kits, etc.

Now all I have to do is install it. HAH!

Comments? It's a little late for reccomendations, but does anyone think I'm clinically insane? I'll post pics hopefully this weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'd have gone with the type x components..thrown away the changer and gotten another mrv501 and a mrv 540 for your mids and highs...but you can always add that

Na you've got a good start. Keep goin with the Alpine stuff. I'm a die hard Alpine fan so anything Alpine is good to me. But me personally I'd stay away from all the mid and tweet set-ups. I mean there good for the money but why not save alittle longer and go big suckas. I did the F17T 3 ways in all 4 doors of mine. Theres nothing like it. Having a woofer, mid, and tweet its like being there live. Thats my .02. :)

Keep on goin with it man.........and let us know how it sounds!!!! :cool:

Derrick C. said:
Na you've got a good start. Keep goin with the Alpine stuff. I'm a die hard Alpine fan so anything Alpine is good to me. But me personally I'd stay away from all the mid and tweet set-ups. I mean there good for the money but why not save alittle longer and go big suckas. I did the F17T 3 ways in all 4 doors of mine. Theres nothing like it. Having a woofer, mid, and tweet its like being there live. Thats my .02. :)

Keep on goin with it man.........and let us know how it sounds!!!! :cool:

That idea is part of the reason I'm waiting on the rear speakers. I may decide I want three ways up front, and move the current ones out back. We'll see how it sounds.

only thing I don't like about alpine is their amps as of recent. I used to run a couple of them and they were good for what I asked of them to do. Alpine makes a point of rating their amps at 14.4v which most amps will only see a 12v draw of current.

Everything else sounds like you are going to enjoy it.. If I didn't just get the 7897 I was thinking about one of those d900's..

I also have an all Alpine system But I did not go with the Alpine speakers. They just didn't cut it for me in sound quality. I have tried there top of the line door speakers and subs, traded them all in for Bostons for the quality of sound. Good luck with your install. That is a great start you have. You can always add later down the road. I am pushing 2 500's and 2 540's. I love the power the Alpine amps produce. I thought that when connected properly, you are getting the 14 volts in a car coming off the alternator. Am I wrong there?

NusenseSD said:
only thing I don't like about alpine is their amps as of recent. I used to run a couple of them and they were good for what I asked of them to do. Alpine makes a point of rating their amps at 14.4v which most amps will only see a 12v draw of current.

Everything else sounds like you are going to enjoy it.. If I didn't just get the 7897 I was thinking about one of those d900's..

Everyone rates their amps @ 14.4 now. Even with the new rating system.

terdrocket said:
Everyone rates their amps @ 14.4 now. Even with the new rating system.

Not everyone.. My kicker is rated 1200 watts at 12volts and at a 1ohm load. According to the birthsheet it actually puts out 1400watts at 1ohm

It all depends on if the amp is a high current or not. There are a lot of companies that are selling their amps with advertisement at the 14v rating. If you look at a JL amps they are rated at 500 watts at any voltage between 10v and 16v and are not dependant on ohm load. You got a 500 watt amp that puts out 500 watts..

BBQ_HotDogs said:
I thought that when connected properly, you are getting the 14 volts in a car coming off the alternator. Am I wrong there?

You are correct.. You get 14volts from the alternator. However that goes to the battery. Then from the battery you need to run your wire. With small wire you will lose voltage due to the resistance of the wire. If you try to run a 8 guage wire back to the back of your hatch area you are going to probably see more like a 12volt at your amp or capacitor. In my truck I am running 0guage wire from the battery to the amps in the back. Most of the time the cap registers 14.1-14.9 volts. Thats if I am playing the radio moderately. Now if I start to crank up the stereo the voltage will drop from anywhere in the 12 volt range to a somewhere in the 13 volt range.

Once I throw my new alternator on (200 amp) my system should be able to recover from the draw my stereo and air compressors are asking of it..

i'm getting right at 14.2 on average from my system...and thats with an extra optima two mrd 500's and one mrv 540..

and why the heck does derrick C have the 3 ways in all of his doors...I mean your sound staging would suck...

mtx doesn't rate at 14.4 either

system sounds good, i definitely don't think your clinically insane though. your about 12 speakers, 2k watts, and 3 tvs away from that point.

In the latest crutchfield catalog all the amps were listed @ 14.4.
It might be a misprint, but thats what they were showing. It caught my attention.

rjahr01 said:
i'm getting right at 14.2 on average from my system...and thats with an extra optima two mrd 500's and one mrv 540..

and why the heck does derrick C have the 3 ways in all of his doors...I mean your sound staging would suck...

Suck???? Its awesome. Sounds incredible. Haven't heard anything else as crisp as mine. My main objection was getting it just as good for the people in the back as it is for me in front. Although I don't have the rears tuned in that high in the rear but I use them just for a fill in. I ran the Type R components back there for awhile but couldn't handle it for very long.

Thank god, another all alpine nut just like myself :)

expo5.0 said:
mtx doesn't rate at 14.4 either

system sounds good, i definitely don't think your clinically insane though. your about 12 speakers, 2k watts, and 3 tvs away from that point.

Oh I know as far as quantity of stuff and money spent, I'm just scratching the surface of what guys on this forum, including yourself, have done. The clinically insane comment was reffering to those people who felt compelled to say "haha, dumb ass, you just wasted a lot of money on ****y stuff"

Well, after trying to tackle the install myself... My car is sitting in the audio bay of a local shop and will be ready to pick up in a couple of hours. Yeah, I'm a pansy, I can accept that. Basically, I didn't realize that I would have to run new wire to all four speakers to make it work (the remote tuner box and factory sub/amp make life difficult.)

Derrick C. said:
Suck???? Its awesome. Sounds incredible. Haven't heard anything else as crisp as mine. My main objection was getting it just as good for the people in the back as it is for me in front. Although I don't have the rears tuned in that high in the rear but I use them just for a fill in. I ran the Type R components back there for awhile but couldn't handle it for very long.
how did you get all those speakers into each door..did you do fiberglassing or cut metal, do you have custom door panels or something

As far as I know the shop cut holes and made templates. Now that my rigs broke down for a SAS I took the doors down to my stereo shop so they could do some aluminum door panels for me. I'll try to get down there and get some pics but I'm kinda busy with things so I'll try. If not I'll wait till there done with it.

Back