• Register Today It's free!

Top end noisy??

Night_Train01

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I own a 1998 explorer with 4.0 SOHC, When I start it the noice from the engine is disheartining. It sounds like there is no oil flow to the top end of the engine. I did a compression test and all cylinders are within 130 to 150 PSI.
Are these motors known for oil problems? The oil pressure gage on the dash indicates pressure but very low.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 98 SOHC also has almost similar problem. When I first start the engine, it will make a noise for 1 second and its gone. However my oil pressure gauge seems normal (well at least its normal to me since it always been that way since I bought the truck 8 months ago). However, the noise does not come everytime I start the car. It comes 80% at the time especially when the truck has been parked for longer period of time. I have been searching this forum for an answer; however, I can't seems to find any definite answer. Some say that the problem is because the oil has not reach to all internal parts of the engine, and other says that it might be lifters prolem.

Do we have an expert here that can help us, owners of SOHC explorers? Is this a problem that I sould be really concern about?

OHC engines don't have lifters.

I am positive that sound is caused by lack of oil to the top of the engine......for me the sound does not go away, it sounds similar to a diesel engine only twice as loud.
What you are describing is normal, when you park the oil drains back to the pan, when you first start your engine the oil needs to be pumped back to the valve train.....thats why you have metal sounds for the first few seconds.
I also read in my Chilton service manual that the engine has to be removed to be able to replace the oil pump. This is not sounding good :(

There is a anti-bleed/ back flow preventer (I don't know the exact term) that is installed in later models. This was also part of the cam chain tensioner sevice upgrade (AKA Cam Chain Cassette). It is installed in the top of the left head next to the tensioner. It is supposed to prevent oil from bleeding out of the tensioners while the engine is off. Your oil pressure gauge is not an actual gauge it is either midrange (indicating that pressure has closed a switch) or off, thanks furd. If your noise is only a short duration you are okay but if it contiunes or starts knocking under acceleration get it to a dealer asap. CONTINUOUS RATTLE OR KNOCKING INDICATES CAM CHAIN TENSIONER GUIDE FAILURE TAKE ACTION NOW. There is a factory cam tensioner guide service available up to 100k, this is 0m01 or 0m12, I don't know the exact number you will need to search here for "cam timing chain noise" or follow some of my other post. Front and rear cam chain tensioner guides are prone to failure and cost about 1k each for dealer service. If you get the service done, get them to to do the rear also. You may have to fight to get the service and if your over 100k your sol.
Good luck

I towed my truck to a nearby garage, they found zero oil pressure......the truck is now getting a rebuilt motor put in....its a quick easy fix :), it even comes with an 80,000 KLM warranty, now if I could only reset my odometer :D

Back