new top end, now oil is blowing through the exhaust | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new top end, now oil is blowing through the exhaust

Ah crap, sorry to hear your bottom end is fried dude.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I finally pulled the plugs today, and all 6 were perfect not oil soaked, nothing unusual. Looked brand new (well they are).

My only thought is I screwed something up on the head gasket install. I probably did get the torque in right order, I know one or two are outta whack(sequence) for sure.

One thing that did catch my attention, was when I opened the radiator cap (to see if it was full) coolant shot out like it was under some serious pressure.

I did use a cheaper head gasket as in non fel-pro. Actually all the gaskets are of the same brand dnj (rock auto) this includes the bolts. I also do not recall if I oiled the threads on the head bolts during install so the clamping force may not where it needs to be.

I still haven't started the truck since this thread started, I just let it sit for a while until I had a chance to think about what went wrong. I am hoping in the next month or so I can tear back into it and see WTH went wrong. Not looking forward to buying new gaskets again, I wish I could reuse the current ones, oh well such as life I guess.

Update 8-29-13

I tore the top end apart today, because I finally had $80 to spend on two flippin head gaskets.

What I found was both heads were bone dry up top. Very minor oil wetness in the heads. Yes, I mean both had minimal oil on top of the heads.

Did I possibly put the heads on backwards? Is that even possible? The head gaskets were on correctly "top front" or what ever it says.

Comparing to the gasket left overs to the new gasket, one coolant passage was blocked on the cheap head gasket compared to the fel-pro one I got today.

I need some direction, cause the old bat needs to be back on the road soon.

Have you gotten anywhere with this situation. I have been following you ordeal and am very curious to the real culprit to the oil leak as I may have the same problem.

8-31-13 update

Have you gotten anywhere with this situation. I have been following you ordeal and am very curious to the real culprit to the oil leak as I may have the same problem.

All I did was redo the head gaskets and so far so good. I believe the good Lord has a hand in this and I would like to keep it that way.

I must have left gasket residue in the corners that I couldn't see the first time. When I did the first head gasket it was overcast and chilly outside. I had caked on gaskets in the upper corners of the block on both sides.

Also I do not recall installing the intake at the same time as the heads on my first go round, I was reading up on torque specs in the chilton manual, and it says "failure to install intake along with the heads will lead to head gasket failure" or something along those lines.

Still to do: I need to charge the battery, hook up the exhaust, burp the air from the radiator, and I should be able to driver the beast for the first time in 6 months.

Solved

This issue was directly related to head gasket install, and an unclean block. I failed to see left over gasket material in the corners.

Tore it all apart, cleaned everything, and put it back together. I'm just irritated that I had to drop over $100 in just gaskets.

But it's all good, the old bat runs again. Thanks to all that helped.

Back